Thread: Silver fishing update around POW

Default Silver fishing update around POW

Is there much fishing continuing in the saltwater at the minute around the islands for silvers or are they already in the rivers? And if there is some fishing when does the saltwater fishery come to close for sport anglers?

I'm sure you can still find a bite out there. Trollers fishing cohos offshore told me they were shaking a bunch of kings too, and averaging 250 cohos a day, as of a week and a half ago. I stuck to the bottom in front of town and did ok on hali a few days ago. It was slow, but we did the grind and did ok. Not great, but ok.

The river is clogged with chrome bright cohos right now though.

Micky,

You may find, once you move here, that an issue that you hadn't anticipated cropping up may indeed put more of a limit on your fishing than any other factor...you can easily find yourself looking in the freezer and at the pantry shelves and saying to yourself, "I've gotta stop. We have too much fish!" And all of your friends and neighbors may be in the same "boat". Sometimes even giving away fish can be tough. But it's a good problem to have.

Thanks jaydog. What a problem to have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sushi.jpg

What's for lunch today!!

P9190132.jpg

....and from a "one-week-a-year-quasi-Alaskan" .... a second to the Q: how much fish and fishing would you need to do to fill the freezer(s)?

Five days of Coho limits yields 30 fish = 60 fillets = 140#s of Coho = all the fish you can eat until you return next year. This has been the formula that has worked for me for the last 14 years. I weighed the first limit of fillets from my recent trip last month and it hit 28# on the scale...this was 6 fish/12 fillets fresh off the fish.

Of course then there's shrimping and crabbing and bottom fishing and whale watching and beach combing and camping around the islands and hunting and photography and boat maintenance ...... and all the rest that comes with living there and owning a boat.

Great job, glad you got into the fish after the rain hit.

With all the fish around, did you have to go camp out at the river to get your spot? I was laughing sooo hard when your buddy was talking about what you guys would do to make sure you were first at the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    With all the fish around, did you have to go camp out at the river to get your spot? I was laughing sooo hard when your buddy was talking about what you guys would do to make sure you were first at the holes.
    Negative on the camping out for a spot to fish on the river. If there was a line ...it didn't take more than 30 minutes to have someone limit out and leave.

We have had an ongoing friendly get to the river competition with our buds from Idaho. One year we pulled out all the stops....got up at 2am, set up shop on the bank by 230, lit a dura flame fire log and dozed till they got there around 430. They couldn't believe it! So we told we just got there afew minutes before them.

So the next morning, the joke was on them. All 8 of them get up way way early to beat us and we sleep in knowing what would happen. Lol! Then on our last day we told them the truth. They just about cried! Except they laughed with us.