Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float hunt report

Default Float hunt report

Just got back from our first float hunt which was down the **** river. Had a great time and scored a moose and a black bear.
    Water levels were very low and the first two days were tough as we had to drag the rafts alot, only making about 4 miles the first two days. Had to portage several times because in some places there wasnt even enough water to drag the boats. it was very discouraging. Day three and four were a little better as we were able to actually get in the rafts for short stretches.
    We had been working with mike strahan so we had a good hunt plan,and when we finally got to a good looking area, we were able to stop for a couple of days.
    My brother shot the moose in the late afternoon about 1/2 mile from camp. After processing we moved all the meat about 100yds from the kill site and started packing the meat to the river with the plan of dragging the raft upriver to load. After stumbling through the willows and beaver ponds in the dark, we decided it would be safer to stash our first load (rear qtr, front shoulder, and ribs) at the rivers edge and drag the raft upriver in the morning to load it all.
    Dragged the boat upriver in the morning and discovered that a bear had gotten into it. The three bags had Been tore up, moved around, and partially buried. Very little of it had actually been eaten. While we were cleaning it up, the bear came back and wouldn't scare off. It was only a little 5' black bear, but he obviously had a death wish. We were waving our arms and yelling to get him to turn away but he kept coming until I shot him at 10 yds.
    For our first float hunt (zero experience with rafting), it was great. An incredible amount of work in dragging the rafts, packing the moose, and rowing 10 hours a day for several days to make the take out ( river was very slow) but I loved it and can't wait to do it again.
    We only got one moose and the small bear, but that was enough. We had to drag the rafts quite a bit even in the last 5 miles of the river, and with two moose we would have had to portage most of that.
    I likely won't do this river again due to consistent low water levels, but I think it was the perfect river for our first float. We learned a lot in those 10 days!

take a guess on the size of this monster

special thanks to Mike Strahan in planning our hunt with us and to Richard at Blue Moose Rafting for the rafting and camping gear. We had a great hunt plan and the gear from BMR was top notch!

I filmed about 50 hours of video with my GoPro, here is a link to a 10 minute video compilation:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 09-29-2013 at 11:54. Reason: added embedded video link

Beautiful bull!!!! Dream bull for sure in my book! I'm gonna guess him at 66"

Release Lake Trout

He was a nice looking bull. At the end of the video I say how big he is. It is very surprising just how massive it was!

I couldn't watch the vid from my iPhone. Sorry. Was I far off?

Release Lake Trout

Did you see any other moose?

Release Lake Trout

Thanks for sharing your hunt. Congrats on your nice bull! I thoroughly enjoyed your video too, great float hunt. What was the name of the artist & title of that first song that was playing?
    ( That bull looks much bigger than it was.)
    "Grin and Bear It"

Eric thanks for the props never required always appreciated. :-) it was 100 percent BMR's pleasure to help you on your first float hunt. Your brother and Eric II are some darn cool cats. If E.S. has not contacted you in HI your processed wild game is being shipped via Rocky's on Sat. Fly Safe home and again congrats on a wonderful animal and sharing the video. Cool Stuff!

Best Wishes

R. Moose-O
    Blue Moose Rafting

Great video and looks like it was a great experience. Good on you for being successful in taking a moose AND a bear. One thing I also would like to mention is kudos to the 3 of you on wearing the floatation vests. Don't see it too often (definitely not as much as it should be) and even as low and slow as the water was you wore them. Big thumbs up on that! Glad you had a positive time and look forward to hearing and seeing more stories of your trips in the great outdoors.

I say 54 inch bull

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    ...One thing I also would like to mention is kudos to the 3 of you on wearing the floatation vests. Don't see it too often (definitely not as much as it should be) and even as low and slow as the water was you wore them. Big thumbs up on that!...
    I agree with that dandeo.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Did you see any other moose?
    we saw 3 other bulls that were undersized. He is only 51".

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Thanks for sharing your hunt. Congrats on your nice bull! I thoroughly enjoyed your video too, great float hunt. What was the name of the artist & title of that first song that was playing?
    ( That bull looks much bigger than it was.)
    the first song was "Sail" by AWOL Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by fish-hunter View Post
    the first song was "Sail" by AWOL Nation.
    Thanks! Again, what a great hunt & bull...plus a bonus black bear to boot!
    "Grin and Bear It"

What a hunt! Congrats, you guys did well! Which river? What was the cost per person? I'd like to throw a tape on that bad boy, I think I could get him at over 51.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 09-28-2013 at 17:15.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    What a hunt! Congrats, you guys did well! Which river? What was the cost per person? I'd like to throw a tape on that bad boy, I think I could get him at over 51.
    Well hmmm...let's see...he did say '**** River'...Michael Strahan will help you out if you're interested in doing something like that. Or you could ask the BlueMoose Rafting guy on this thread, sounds like that's who he got lined up with. Or check out the 'Float Hunting' department under Hunting.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 09-28-2013 at 14:15. Reason: :-)
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Beautiful bull!!!! Dream bull for sure in my book! I'm gonna guess him at 66"
    Dang man, I hope you always count brow tines and never have to judge for 50!

Sweet looking moose though definitely looks big in the pic

[QUOTE=iyouktug;1330193]What a hunt! Congrats, you guys did well! Which river? What was the cost per person? I'd like to throw a tape on that bad boy, I think I could get him at over 51.[/QUOTE

Had To Fly Straight To Hawaii For A Funeral, Ill PM You
    Our Cost Info When I Return Next week.

nice video man!!
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Why was the name of the river removed?

I thought this site was about sharing information......?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast