Thread: Is he legal?

Default Is he legal?

This will haunt me all winter... here are a few poor photos...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

IMPOSSIBLE to tell with these pics :/
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

What Unit? Do you have any pics of him head on, from the front? Too bad you didn't have an any bull tag.

Looks under 50" for sure...unless he had a reeeally big body.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Upper 40's would be my guess. Unless the brow tines are there, then I wouldn't have shot either.

Default Legal

Definitely hard to tell without a better pic, but I think he's a little over 50. I wouldn't let it haunt you, I had a similar situation this year with a bull I guessed to be about 54" but the only shot I had was off hand at 700 yards plus it was right at last shooting light so I passed on him. Didn't want to wound him.

Yeah, don't let it haunt you by any means.

Closer.jpg
    "Grin and Bear It"

What would really haunt you is if you did shoot him and he was NOT legal. Passing is the best solution if you are not 100% sure and you shouldn't feel bad about it. I always question those who seem so confident in judging a moose to be a safe bet, figuring they are 54-55". Do they understand they are making a judgement call of about the width of your hand at hundreds of yards against an animal that can vary in body size by a huge amount? Way too close for me to take the chance without seeing browtines to confirm it's legal. This guy, I would really have to see a better head-on angle and even then most likely need to confirm brow tines before pulling the trigger. Looks too close for me to be comfortable with a shot even if he was over 50". Now, if you had an any-bull tag or were in an any-bull area, then yes, he is legal and you should be haunted by passing....

Also, it was a 50" or 4 brow tine area...

I'm mostly haunted by not closing the distance to get a better look.

I had a similar experience this year when I called in a old bull. Stared at him for over 40 minutes at 50-70 yards trying to convince myself he was 50". Amazing experience but wish he just had the browtines to make it an easy call. Hopefully he at least spread his seed in your hunt area and maybe you will find him better equipped next year.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Not many 'old' bulls fall in the 50" or under category. The bull in the pic is not 50", unless he has 250LB hindquarters. Nice animal, but if he's in an area with a good moose pop. he is NOT spreading his seed because he's had his butt kicked by larger bulls.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Not many 'old' bulls fall in the 50" or under category. The bull in the pic is not 50", unless he has 250LB hindquarters. Nice animal, but if he's in an area with a good moose pop. he is NOT spreading his seed because he's had his butt kicked by larger bulls.
    I doubt it would have been an over 40" bull, mad angler did the right thing by letting him walk.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Default Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    I would like to know where you hunt where 50" bulls have 250 lb quarters, that would mean you are getting over a thousand lbs of meat off your moose. I've been moose hunting for a minute and the 60" bulls I've seen usually top out at 130

Default M1

I think he was being sarcastic about the 250 pound quarters but ya tat would be a giant moose. I might have shot this moose based on what I can see from the photos. Good tines good paddles good to go

Pike, I think you misunderstood what sockeye was saying. To maintain proper proportions, in order to have 50" antlers that moose in the photo would have to have a gigantic body - not likely, hence, that bull is not likely to be 50".

I bet you would. LOL

Next year I will take you into a spot where the 50+ bulls moose do have 250 lb quarters if you promise not to take or tell anyone about the location. If your wanting a full body moose you can't just shoot the first 50+ bull you see. Buy the way, you can not get a thousand lbs of meat off a thousand lbs moose because of the bones.