Thread: Any update on Deep Creek kings & halibut???

Default Any update on Deep Creek kings & halibut???

Has the king fishing picked up yet out off Deep Creek? How about halibut?

Went fishing off Deep Creek on Sunday, hit the water about 6:30a, had our limit by 8:30a. Spent the rest of the day trolling & mooching for kings-no luck, no bites, nothing! Beautiful day though.

Default 13 foot avon out of Deep Creek area?

A little off topic here but I had a question for the experienced folks out there. Is it possible to take a 13 foot Avon (raft) out of Deep Creek, Ninilchik, Anchor Point, Homer, etc... and catch any kind of fish? Preferrably halibut fish, but I watched them troll for kings last weekend VERY close to shore so that got my hopes up. The water would have to be nearly flat I would guess but what can ya'll tell me? Feel free to PM me, thanks a lot in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by SperBear View Post
    A little off topic here but I had a question for the experienced folks out there. Is it possible to take a 13 foot Avon (raft) out of Deep Creek, Ninilchik, Anchor Point, Homer, etc... and catch any kind of fish? Preferrably halibut fish, but I watched them troll for kings last weekend VERY close to shore so that got my hopes up. The water would have to be nearly flat I would guess but what can ya'll tell me? Feel free to PM me, thanks a lot in advance.
    I talked with a guy last summer who launches his drift boat off of the beach near the boat launch and does very well on halibut. he doesn't go far out either.

My experience is that the hour or so before and after the turn of the tide is the window of opportunity for the bite near shore, and if you could self-launch/recover you could only be out there for a couple hours and not feel like you threw away $50.

Thumbs up Knock yourself out

We used to launch a 10' tin skiff in the creek and had a ball. A little common sense and a weather eye and you'll have no problem. At Whiskey gulch look for the sandbar at low tide. They used to hang on the down tide side just off the beach.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it. Sometime this summer I will go try it out.

Went out yesterday looking for some kings and butts out of Deep Creek. Limited out on Butts largest was about 70 to 80 lbs and most we about 20 lbs. Didn't catch any kings while trolling and didn't see anybody else hook up.

Default Salt kings and halibut

fished out of Anchor/Whiskey Gulch Saturday 5/26. No kings, didn't see any caught, maybe a couple of take-downs, but who knows what that was...

Limited on halibut at high slack, all chickens, however one person in our party caught a 100# halibut!

All in all, it was a great day.

By the way, I saw many small inflatables fishing and doing just fine. The swell was up to probably 2 feet with an occasional 3 footer. All of the inflatables that I saw were self launched off the beach.

Good luck, be safe.