Thread: aire traveler for Ivishak?

Default aire traveler for Ivishak?

Planning a trip down the Ivishak next year. Would an aire traveler (larger one) do the job for 3 people ( two women and a man) if there was a 'tow along gear boat' too ? ..starting to look at raft options..What about the possible use of a zodiac type boat? I have read a few good threads on raft selection and have not seen zodiacs mentioned, curious how often they are used for float hunts.... My only exp with rafting/floating is with an aire super leopard (dual pontoon) 18' , and the aire traveler (also 18', I think)..I recall both being PIGS, but both got the job done, functionally, and held up great. Trying to come up with something that doesn't weigh a ton, but has good clearance in the water.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I have seen a variety of round boats and cats on the Ivashak over the years, some pretty good size. There are some skinny braids, but lots of water too. You will have to drag, I would guess, at times, but usually for very shorts stretches. Went up in an outboard jet once, so the water is not that skinny, and we never had to drag the boat. Later in the season you will get a great Char run as well. Enjoy!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Not an option IMO

I love the Traveler however it would not be the bot of choice for three people and gear. Max weight rating of about 700 lbs puts you almost out of the mix from the get go. I can't see you being able to use it and a tow boat behind it without having serious complications trying to go down the river. Trust me I like the Traveler rent them all the time. For your type of hunt more of a one person boat with gear and animals or two person boat recreational trip with fishing.

Goo's Sotar Moose Boat with its tube diameter and capacity would be a viable option for three people however you really have limited space when chucking three people into it and again the tow portion of your question brings in some other issues.

And of course profile, water conditions and wind should be considered.

You might want to look at a 14ft Round Boat for your task bailing or non-bailing both would be a slightly better option IMO.

Larry's P. Extreme is also an option for two people, gear and animals IMO. The Kicker is the third person and the two boat.

Again just an opinion. That being said I would look at a 14ft Round Boat and be done with it if at all possible.

Regards

RMM

Quote Originally Posted by tuffboots View Post
    Planning a trip down the Ivishak next year. Would an aire traveler (larger one) do the job for 3 people ( two women and a man) if there was a 'tow along gear boat' too ? ..starting to look at raft options..What about the possible use of a zodiac type boat? I have read a few good threads on raft selection and have not seen zodiacs mentioned, curious how often they are used for float hunts.... My only exp with rafting/floating is with an aire super leopard (dual pontoon) 18' , and the aire traveler (also 18', I think)..I recall both being PIGS, but both got the job done, functionally, and held up great. Trying to come up with something that doesn't weigh a ton, but has good clearance in the water.
    Is this a hunting trip, or just floating / fishing? How many days? Summer or fall? I couldn't make a recommendation without knowing at least that much, because those questions have a direct impact on how much weight will be in the boat. For example if you're hunting, you have heavy meat loads. If it's a multi-day trip, you'll have more food and perhaps more gear. If it's a summer trip you may get by with a lighter gear load, but later trips could require heavier clothing, heavier sleeping bags, and perhaps more gear.

Most experienced rafters will not recommend a tow-behind boat in any circumstance, because of safety considerations and just the practical issues involved. If you're towing the boat behind you, it will travel faster than the lead boat (paddlers / rowers frequently slow down to deal with navigational issues, while a gear boat flows at a dead drift). The effect is that the gear boat runs up on your lead boat, and will wrap around you. Eventually you end up feeding it down in front of you while you float, where it can drag you into all kinds of trouble. If you need the additional lift you're better off putting a rower in the second boat and splitting the gear between both boats.

If this is a hunting trip, we should move the thread over to float hunting, for the benefit of others who are looking at similar questions.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

For the reasons Mike lays out, pulling a towed boat behind any kind of drift boat/raft/canoe is begging for disaster. The only way you can possibly do it is to tie it directly and firmly to the back of the raft/canoe so that it acts like one continuous boat. But then the boat is too long to be able to control it right. --- Just say "NO" and stay alive.

If by "Zodiac type boat" you mean an inflatable with a hard transom, the problem usually is with the hard transom. Any time it hits a rock with any force it will punch a hole or at least fray the fabric where it is pinched between the hard transom and the even harder rock. As long as the water is always deep and still not too rough they can work. I doubt that's going to be the case on the Ivashak, but I've never been there.

There's a reason why drift type rafts, canoes and catarafts are built the way they are; they work.

I think you need to plan on either two Aire Travelers or one larger boat. The mid sized Sotar Moose boat or similar might be a decent option for three people, light gear and no large animals to pack.

I have floated the Ivishak twice in early August in my 15' self-bailer with my wife, two kids, and a caribou. The river is very shallow in many places....as in 6 inches or less. The bigger the round raft you have the less you will draft due to displacing the load over a larger area and the less you will drag. If you are very good at reading the water, and can put the raft in the deepest sections, you will avoid even more dragging. The diiference between dragging 100-200 yds or not can be a couple of feet left or right in whatever braid you are in. Or, simply choosing the correct braid that has the only floatable water out of several choices. A bucket boat (non-selfbailer) will float even higher. I think the Traveler might work if you were the only occupant? Pack as light as possible for that river!