Thread: 22' Olympics

Default 22' Olympics

Just an FYI. Local lodge is doing some upgrading. These are solid boats, with solid power, at what I think is an OK price. They've fished the outer coast of POW for years and years. Should get 10-12gph. Not a bad entry price to get into the SE AK saltwater game.

http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/4093606130.html

Are you guys running the same air-ride seats like waterfall? That setup makes the pounding of the outcoast actually "enjoyable"! Can I ask what your new setup will be? Also, are those the same boats that the old sunnahea (sp) lodge used to run?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I don't work for them, so I don't know what they are thinking as far as there new rigs. I'll be curious too! And yes, I'm pretty sure that Sunnahea ran that make/model. Catch a King ran em too, before they moved up to Northrivers. 22' Glass boats safely fished the W side of POW for years and years.

I'm pretty sure that they don't have air ride seats. They are what they are.. a solid 22' boat, with good outboard power. If it's too rough for them, you probably don't want to be out there pleasure fishing anyway.

Just passing this along. Given what a new 22' Hewes or similar goes for, you can catch a lot of fish out of one of these rigs, and not take a big hit on the pocketbook as far as interest payments goes on that bank note. I bet if you only knew the fish that came aboard each boat over the years, it'd be staggering.

225 Optimax burning 10 - 12 gph? Really? I'm sure these are fine boats, but I think that is an EXTREMELY optimistic estimate...

I run a 200 opti OB on my 24' wooly alaskan II and I can easily get 7-8 gph at 25-28 mph. Not sure how the 225 works w/ these hulls, but I think it's a reasonable guess.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by 300 Ultra View Post
    225 Optimax burning 10 - 12 gph? Really? I'm sure these are fine boats, but I think that is an EXTREMELY optimistic estimate...
    Just talked to a buddy last night who's got a fuel flow gauge on one of these exact set ups. 11.8 gph at 4250ish RPMs.