Thread: SE (POW) Lodge Busted

Default SE (POW) Lodge Busted

You know about this know 270Ti?
    __________________________________________________ ____________

A lodge on Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska is in big trouble with the law for several reasons.

An Alaska State Troopers' dispatch explains the Clover Bay Lodge illegally furnished sport caught shellfish to clients and guests; provided fishing clients with edible portions of sport caught fish to use as bait; aided fishing clients to take and possess over limits of halibut during a chartered sport fishing trip; permitted an employee to retain halibut working as a crewmember on a sport fishing charter trip; and intentionally fed black bears.

A mandatory court appearance was scheduled in the District Court of Craig.

The charges were formally filed by Alaska Wildlife Troopers at the Ketchikan Post.

edit - found the news release for this. That was where my family took our first trip to Alaska.

Wrong side of the island. I have zero interactions with them.

Glad they got them. A few pretty blatant violations in there especially the "over the limit" on halibut. The shellfish will cost them too. You can't feed your guests sport caught crab/shrimp that they didn't harvest themselves. I'd guess they gave the unguided anglers coho salmon bellies to use as halibut bait.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Wrong side of the island. I have zero interactions with them.
    **** East Coasters.

What's the law for charters and shell fish? That Hawaiian run charter operation out of South Shelter has each of their half dozen boats drop a Dungy pot in Handtrollers Cove every single day during the season.

Info of the client has to be on the buoy. Capt can't assist in any way of setting and pulling. This is for crab and shrimp. Sounds simple enough, but lots of charters run afoul of this law.

Lots of lodges used to send staff out to pull lodge crab pots, and then feed the crab to their guests. That's a big no-no.

So does this same a ply to a lodge cooking up a moose/deer steak for a client that didn't kill it?

I'd assume so. If it's a paying customer, and meals are part of the package, then you'd think using any sport caught/killed game animal is basically making that meat "commercial". It'd be akin to any owner of and eatery going, killing a moose, and then cooking up it up to sell at his establishment.