Thread: 2013 2 moose down!!!!

Default 2013 2 moose down!!!!

So I got my bull this year in unit 13. Not the biggest bull at 44.5 inches, but with3 brow tines on one side he was a definite taker!

It was a briskmorning on September 21st, it was probably around 20 degrees, but Iwas up early and excited about using the new electronic moose call I had purchased online this year. My hunting buddy had just landed in his supercub at first light that morning and it wash is turn to pull the trigger first, but we were both hopeful a 2-moose situation would be at hand. Slipping as silently as we could through the alders to our little ‘sweet spot’, I crept out into a large clearing and set the call up in the center. The wind was good, blowing right in our direction, and we knew our six was clear of any animals.

Within half an hour a dream situation occurred! A cow emerged out of the woods, ears forward and looking intently in the direction of the calls. She stepped out into the opening, and then I saw a flash of white behind her! My heart raced, and I whispered to my buddy toget ready, he’s coming in. The bull circled in front of the cow, as if to keep her from entering the clearing, and turned broadside at about 45 yards. I used the remote to shut off the call and my hunting partner calmly flipped the safety off his 8 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot and took aim, then bluntly whispered, “ There’s two of em’’’

I looked up and sure enough, another bull was quartering toward us and the first bull, head lowered and ready to do battle! I asked my friend if he could wait a second to see what would happen, and he complied, telling me to load a bolt in my crossbow and get ready to take the closer of the two. The two bulls faced off in front of us out inthe open, and both turned broad side, heads lowered. “Let’s take em’ on the count of 3” my buddy whispered……. 1,2,3!! The 8-gauge boom startled me as I released the bolt and I couldn’t tell where it went! My buddies moose dropped in its tracks and mine ran off across the field while I scrambled to load up anotherbolt. I had just thrown the cross bowback up to my shoulders when, to the shock of both of us, A THIRD BULL also crashed out of the brush and entered the clearing, apparently trying to follow the bull I had just shot at! I put my crosshairs on his front shoulder and let the bolt fly, the bull humped up and came to a stop, I frantically tried to load another bolt, but as I did the bull got wobbly and toppled over!

We both whooped and hollered like wild Indians for a whileand ran to our bulls to check them out. We processed mine first, and as it was a decent walk back to the airstrip, we decided to bone all the meat out to make our packs somewhat lighter. They were still some heavy sons of guns though, and it took us the entire day to get both moose down to the plane. My buddy had to make a few trips with the cubto get all the meat out, and with the failing light I decided to camp on our airstrip and guard the remaining meat all night until he could return the next morning. He showed up early the next day, and we got the last load of meat and my gear in the plane. I slapped my friend on the back and congratulated him on a great hunt and a job well done. We both took a moment to look at that mountainside and reflect on the excitement of the prior day’s event, then both of us punched our harvest tickets and flew out of there for the last time this year. What a great season! There ya go armchair cops and cynics, have a hayday, how many violations?
    Last edited by BIGAKSTUFF; 09-26-2013 at 11:28. Reason: spacing
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

This is freakin funny. Nicely done

Yeah, great fiction story...so many violations in it that I lost count...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Good stuff...great trip for sure . Did they circle first to locate the moose, and who's landing strip did they use?

Might be one added issue.... if there happened to be 3 bulls lying on the ground.

That whole story is a violation but it does explain why the bull I shot this year had a short arrow stuck in it's antler!

A few violations for sure, plus a possible wounded moose left in the field, but I guess you could of had a any bull draw tag for that 3 brow tine moose and maybe you have a permit to hunt with your crossbow due to some disability. As long as you didn't wound that third moose you might get away with a warning for deboning the meat and not punching your harvest tickets immediately upon taking the game. I don't think you would get away with hunting a day after the season closed unless maybe you were hunting some kind of community harvest permit with an extended season.

Lol great write up! One of the violations people forget is boning out the meat... Big no no in unit 13.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    , how many violations?
    None........ you were not caught. LOL

This thread is WORTHLESS without pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    This thread is WORTHLESS without pictures!
    Since it's an imaginary story...I assume you would need to use your imagination
    "Grin and Bear It"

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&d=1380226716

My 2013 44.5 inch bull with "3" brow tines on one side. Mind the hole in the nose, and the four wheeler trailer, dunno how that got there.....weird.....

"Grin and Bear It"

Nice

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

you sure you weren't flying a helicopter?

possibly 8, depending on when the antlers came out, and if a "transfer of possession" form had been filled out, plus the possibility of another moose down and being wasted.

Don't forget to send in your HT 's or you won't be eligible for draws next year. Great hunt!

Can't believe nobody mentioned the 8 gauge not being legal either.

Nice writing!

sent from my igloo

Dandeo is right with about 8 More if you pick my story apart with assumptions of illegal activities. I figured I would give some of the story-downers a plethora of things to point a stick at instead of not giving hunt reporters the benefit of the doubt for once.....

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Dandeo is right with about 8 More if you pick my story apart with assumptions of illegal activities. I figured I would give some of the story-downers a plethora of things to point a stick at instead of not giving hunt reporters the benefit of the doubt for once.....
    Love it! Just as good as me and my buddy calling the Unit 13 hotline to find out that they needed 700 more bulls harvested. So we headed to Unit 13 and killed us a nice 40" bull with 3 and 3.

40 inch moose.jpg