Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Waterfowl Hunting Tips, Strategies and Techniques.

  1. #1
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Waterfowl Hunting Tips, Strategies and Techniques.

    Sounds like the calling clinic worked out for the few that showed up.. Helped with confidence etc that Bud and Boomer worked on. I know Don had allot of help in this as well...

    I am wondering if there is any interest in the above?? I know a few guys that would probably help provide some educational advice for new and old waterfowlers..including myself.. Not a know it all type of guy..but for those that know me.. I am willing to help and will help coordinate, develop and provide instruction and advice to anyone in the waterfowling sport..(35 years experience waterfowling/guiding) Always still learning myself and open to anything... Let me know.. Little late this season.. Don't know.. But we might see if we can put something together or start something this spring.

    If interested in participating or have questions on the above.. Please post, PM or email me AlaskaDH01@gmail.com

    Interested to see what the interest might be.. I am getting allot of questions after my post yesterday.. Good stuff.. Keep em coming.. But if there is a way we could put something educational together for local waterfowlers.. It might be fun... At least we can sit around, BS and eat some of those duck sausage sticks.. LoL

    if not.. Maybe this thread is enough for guys to post some questions and for some if us that think we know the answer can help.. Lot of guys and gals with allot if experience in the sport..that can probably help..

    Hugh

  2. #2
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Hugh, call and reserve the back meeting room at Pizza man in ER for saturdy or sunday night, or whatever night works best for you, we can eat pizza and drink beer and practice on the duck calls. Might be fun. Might even help me kill a few more ducks this year. Bud
    Wasilla

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Sure Bud, like I will be blowing pepperoni through my Zink, Power Hen..........

    I was thinking we should do the duck calling seminars again next winter. Feel it went over good last year for the first time. I know some of the guys got pretty darn good. I am all for doing it again in my shop but there are other places that would be better. Any of the Big Box Sporting Goods stores we will have open will be thrilled to let us use a room. Can't imagine Pizza Man folk would be real thrilled about my calling ability.

    I was also kicking around the idea of a few sessions of instruction on the shotgun Range. Any interest? Have no deals yet. I know this one would not be free.

    I will be down in the 48 for the next month or so and not on a computer. Got some hunting down in Minnesota and the Dakota's to attend too.

    Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

  4. #4
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Bud..

    I am leaving tomorow night for our annual duckhunt/camping trip at our favorite stomping grounds.. Won't be back til late Sunday.

    Maybe next week if there is some interest..would give us time to round up a few guys..

    Getting the calling clinic together would be nice again..

    I have seen a huge interest in new waterfowlers as many have...and think if they just had some basics on the sport it would help them feel more comfortable in getting started in the right direction..

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Hugh, call and reserve the back meeting room at Pizza man in ER for saturdy or sunday night, or whatever night works best for you, we can eat pizza and drink beer and practice on the duck calls. Might be fun. Might even help me kill a few more ducks this year. Bud
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  5. #5
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,100

    Default

    I only got to attend once but the calling clinic helped me tremendously. Im up for another gathering. I had the privilege of going out with you once and learned quite a bit and would love to learn more. Every little bit counts.

    I may see you in the filed saturday if we can get our crap together and get there on time.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    I would be *extremely* interested in any sort of gathering to this end. More so if it would help me get in just one trip this year.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    209

    Default

    I would be interested as well unfortunately I am weathered in, in Ruby waiting for my material to show up to do my job so I can get home.

  8. #8
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    Sure Bud, like I will be blowing pepperoni through my Zink, Power Hen..........

    I was thinking we should do the duck calling seminars again next winter. Feel it went over good last year for the first time. I know some of the guys got pretty darn good. I am all for doing it again in my shop but there are other places that would be better. Any of the Big Box Sporting Goods stores we will have open will be thrilled to let us use a room. Can't imagine Pizza Man folk would be real thrilled about my calling ability.

    I was also kicking around the idea of a few sessions of instruction on the shotgun Range. Any interest? Have no deals yet. I know this one would not be free.

    I will be down in the 48 for the next month or so and not on a computer. Got some hunting down in Minnesota and the Dakota's to attend too.

    Don

    Don, I won't be needing shotgun practice anymore, I just got me an automatic 10 gauge! No duck will ever escape now!

    In all seriousness, I wish I could help out, but like you I'm heading down to the lower 48 for the next year or two. Looking forward to shooting some new species of ducks in Maryland, and maybe getting my first turkey. But anytime you want to try hunting the chesapeake or eastern shore let me know.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  9. #9
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Don, I won't be needing shotgun practice anymore, I just got me an automatic 10 gauge! No duck will ever escape now!

    In all seriousness, I wish I could help out, but like you I'm heading down to the lower 48 for the next year or two. Looking forward to shooting some new species of ducks in Maryland, and maybe getting my first turkey. But anytime you want to try hunting the chesapeake or eastern shore let me know.
    A lot of my buddies hunt turkey down there and say it is one of the most challenging and fun hunts they do. Smart birds for sure.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  10. #10
    Member akprideinvegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Ak
    Posts
    579

    Default

    interested if this continues in the winter months. nov-feb.
    NRA life Member JVJ

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Total newb to call ducks here. If there is a clinic I want in. I think I sound more like a crow then a duck lol. I have been going with the less is better approach and it doesn't seem to help much

  12. #12
    Member thelast2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Don, I won't be needing shotgun practice anymore, I just got me an automatic 10 gauge! No duck will ever escape now!
    Let us know how that works for you...LOL. I'm assuming you bought that gun for geese more so than ducks right? Couldn't imagine a day of chasing ducks with a 10 gauge thinking shoulder might be a bit banged up. Out of curiosity because I haven't priced shells for a 10 Ga are they much more expensive than 12 Ga?
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

  13. #13
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Yeah.. I can't wait to see his face after that first volley of three..

    Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Let us know how that works for you...LOL. I'm assuming you bought that gun for geese more so than ducks right? Couldn't imagine a day of chasing ducks with a 10 gauge thinking shoulder might be a bit banged up. Out of curiosity because I haven't priced shells for a 10 Ga are they much more expensive than 12 Ga?
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    A lot of my buddies hunt turkey down there and say it is one of the most challenging and fun hunts they do. Smart birds for sure.
    Turkey hunting is probably the most challenging hunt you can do. It doesn't require a lot of physical prowess, but it requires a tremendous amount of skill and patience. Probably the only thing tougher is archery hunting turkey, and yes, a friend of mine does it-his record is a 26 lb tom with a recurve. The rest of use shotguns lol. And no, I've never got one.

  15. #15
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Let us know how that works for you...LOL. I'm assuming you bought that gun for geese more so than ducks right? Couldn't imagine a day of chasing ducks with a 10 gauge thinking shoulder might be a bit banged up. Out of curiosity because I haven't priced shells for a 10 Ga are they much more expensive than 12 Ga?
    Yep, got it for greater canadians when I move down to Maryland in a few days. Also it will be good for sea ducks, considering how tough they are. I swear they have kevlar feathers.

    10 Gauge is kinda hard to find. Sportsmans has a case of Winchester Dryloks for 32.99 per box. But I plan on hand loading mostly.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  16. #16
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Yeah.. I can't wait to see his face after that first volley of three..
    pffft! I doubt it's going to be much worse than a 12 gauge 3 1/2. Plus that Remington SP-10 weighs like 9 pounds and is gas operated. In fact I bet those 3 1/2 12 gauge kick more than this remington will.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  17. #17
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    True.. But I just had to say something.. See ya in a few hours

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    pffft! I doubt it's going to be much worse than a 12 gauge 3 1/2. Plus that Remington SP-10 weighs like 9 pounds and is gas operated. In fact I bet those 3 1/2 12 gauge kick more than this remington will.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Yep, got it for greater canadians when I move down to Maryland in a few days. Also it will be good for sea ducks, considering how tough they are. I swear they have kevlar feathers.

    10 Gauge is kinda hard to find. Sportsmans has a case of Winchester Dryloks for 32.99 per box. But I plan on hand loading mostly.
    If you're moving to MD, and looking for 10 ga ammo (any ammo, really) check out Graf&Sons.com. They ship to anywhere in the L48 for $5. (Regardless of amount shipped.) I always buy a bunch when I visit family and bring it back as checked baggage. They're a good company.

  19. #19
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    I'll check it out. Got to get a lawyer to figure out all of maryland's new gun laws that are supposed to take effect on Oct 1st. I think ammo shipments may be a no no now. I'm seeing a lot of companies say they won't ship to Maryland anymore.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I am in for a calling seminar. Going out for my first time out in the Palmer Hay Flats tmw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •