Thread: ways to find TI Rem 700 action

Default ways to find TI Rem 700 action

Hey guys, was wondering how to find a ti rem 700 action in a 7-08. Want to start building a rifle and am in the beginning stages (clearly).

Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

And i can buy any short action correct ? 243Win, 7mm-08, 308Win., .358Win, 22-250
    NRA life Member JVJ

They've been popping up on 24 hr here and there lately. Expect to pay a minimum $1400 for the donor rifle. I'd also be watching gunbroker, but alias, expect to pay an arm and leg for one there. I'm not sure, but might be cheaper and less waiting around to go with a custom Ti action.

Thats kind of what im quickly seeing. I dont know what the weight difference is between the ti and ss but there sure is a cost difference.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Going off memory here, but I believe a 4 to 5 oz weight savings.

http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/...itanium-action

Kind of expensive but I'm looking into ordering one.

Just a word a caution to those looking for a TI action. I owned one of the Remington Alaskan TIs and I found the TI action to have a lot of friction. The action always felt like it had sand in it. Try as I may, I could never get it to feed smoothly.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

thanks guys. for the price I ended up with a Montana and will go from there. thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

They probably feel like sand because they gall and bind more easily:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

Happened in our titanium bikes of the 90's. Rifle actions likely have even more compressive forces upon ignition of the cartridge...

It would make a lot more sense to me that you would make the barrel short and more slender than to worry about the weight of the action. You can always spiral flutes the barrel and bolt, skeletonize the handle and spend crazy money on a carbon-bedded stock...or just buy a NULA.

nula's look great but at 5 pounds for 3500 bucks definitely not happening now. first mountain hunt was with a mark v 300 weatherby mag and then my tikka and now the kimber. im working towards it. haha
    NRA life Member JVJ

Just curious about why you wouldn't just look around for a Kimber Montana that is actually a decent shooter. I've had one that wasn't and had to rebarrel it. After that it has been doing quite well...and for much less than a donor Ti action. There's many different ways to skin that cat...

yes, a bunch of different ways. and i wound up with a montana 7mm08. sounds like it shot decent from the previous owner and hopefully i can tighten it up a little more with some luck. i will lighten it up a little as i go but need to get it shooting first.
    NRA life Member JVJ

After al-MOST pounding my Montana into the ground with a hammer I had it rebarreled. I'd say you either have a shooter or a rebarreling project. Let me know if you have the latter--there are reasonable options. I'm now a happy Kimber Montana owner and really enjoy taking it to the range. I think that good times are ahead for you...

Not sure what your budget is on a build, but if you can't find a rem. Ti action, you can look at Extreme actions out of Ohio, they make superior titanium actions for many custom gun makers, such as Boswell, and others. Check them out online or give them a call.