Thread: After the take

Default After the take

So what are your feelings after a successful hunt (got your animal) soft topic not just the kill.

Default My feelers

Usually feel really stoked, feel warm and fuzzy inside, I just filled my freezer and can't wait to throw down some steaks

For me the taking is the least favorite part of the hunt unless needed to survive and extra thanks given. For me its the journey and thats the story I tell.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Amen brother so much thanks given

I'm all smiles. Evereyone is happy.......as they should be.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I'm all smiles. Evereyone is happy.......as they should be.
    Smiles and high 5's what a feeling

I take a moment to show respect for the life i just took, I feel if I am not respectful as a hunter then I will not be successfull in the future.. There is then of course a celebration of sorts of course high fives at times,hugs or handshakes, a big smile knowing it all came together.. But Like Will its more about the journey for me lately.

I am always grateful for the life I just took, and the sustenance that it will give me. This year when I had my moose down, the quiet was kind of eerie, and in many ways I was pretty sad. He was a nice bull, lots of fat, excellent meat, it was a good hunt with good friends, but that bull was much prettier standing in that meadow than he was on the ground. I love that I have my freezers full of excellent fish and meat this fall and that dispels any thoughts of not hunting or harvesting, but the killing part doesn't turn me on.

I'm not a super religious person but as soon as I walk up to an animal I harvested, I always take a second to look to the sky and thank god..

Quote Originally Posted by TundraT View Post
    So what are your feelings after a successful hunt (got your animal) soft topic not just the kill.
    First, I thank God for the blessing that he just gave me. However the kill is my favorite part becuase there is no success until that happens. Seeing the bullet connect and animal go down I know that it is going to be a good day. After that it is all work and continous work until I drop off the meat with the processor. I don't stop until complete. Gutting, skinning, quartering and hauling out to the truck to the processor. Always done within 48hrs max in order to give the best care for the meat. Then I can sit back and enjoy the journey and hard work that it took to accomplish the hunt. Maybe write a story about it and put into the family hunt book to enjoy when I'm 90 and not able to do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I am always grateful for the life I just took, and the sustenance that it will give me. This year when I had my moose down, the quiet was kind of eerie, and in many ways I was pretty sad. He was a nice bull, lots of fat, excellent meat, it was a good hunt with good friends, but that bull was much prettier standing in that meadow than he was on the ground. I love that I have my freezers full of excellent fish and meat this fall and that dispels any thoughts of not hunting or harvesting, but the killing part doesn't turn me on.
    Nice; my feelings exactly.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I feel a lot of things...gratitude, thanksgiving, elation, accomplishment, joy, awe, wonder and more than a little humble. Odd mix of sensations when I'm walking up to the animal now that I think about it. I'm not always solemn either, sometimes it's high fives and big smiles and the first one I took after my Dad passed I just walked up and sat for a bit...I was pretty melancholy about that one.

When I'm packing out though my mind generally wanders to thoughts of my own mortality and eventual death.

Emotionally there's a lot that goes on before,during and after the shot.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

This applies to big game... Immediately following the shot, its still nothing but business. Keep or regain the animal in the scope, ensure that he is down and no followup shot is required. Then, there is usually lots of joy that the hunt has just ended successfully. Often a sense of total disbelief that things just came together and the animal is laying there in front of me. Thanks to my Creator for blessing me on the hunt. As I approach the animal, a sense of awe at its attributes... the jet blackness of its fur, the size, shape, color, uniqueness of the antler/horn, etc. And a sense of resignation. Because now the work begins... I begin to scheme out the next few hours for cutting, moving and packing the meat and or hide of the animal. As Hodgeman stated, "When I'm packing out though my mind generally wanders to thoughts of my own mortality and eventual death." Because there are many bears where I hunt.

Default It took a little bird to awaken me.

I was in my early teens, shooting any thing that moved, in a remote area of the mountains ,And God I believe spoke to me .I shot this little finch with my .22 rifle and of course it vaporized , and the question hit my face ,WHY , Were you going to eat that? Sence then my policy has stood if I'm killing it , i'm eating it even rattlers. There not too bad if you cook them just right. It has made me a more cautious hunter ,and a great many animals have been spaired sence then, because of the decision. I let the cyotes do what cyotes do after the wild rabbits in my yard , not anxious to eat cyote. Rabbits know there safe around me even many game birds ,having no need to take them for food yet .if and when the time comes, it won't be in my yard I hunt them. I haven't needed to take any large game for some time now except a 400 lb bear that the neighbor shot and injured and ran into our place, we had to finish off. It was delicious. But I always thank God for giving me the means to protect and provide for my family.

Im always thankful for the game Im lucky enough to get. And now that my son is hunting with me Ive passed on to him to show respect for the animal. For me its first about being out there with my boy and getting something is second.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association