Bushrat made a good point; some of us are sporting new Avatars now, thanks to Doctor Johnson's efforts at websmithing. For the unwashed, Avatars are those little images that appear just in front of your name, as in my High School yearbook photo that appears before my name in this post.
Avatars may be just about any square image (if you try to post a larger image or a rectangular one, only part of it may post). Avatars may also be animated.
NOTE: Avatars that are considered inappropriate for this website will likely incur The Wrath of Dave. Don't go there.
Here's how to post an Avatar:
1. To post an Avatar, you need a suitable image. You can do a google search for Avatars, or create your own. For me it's easiest to post the image on my desktop so I can find it when it's time to post it. Do this and go to the next step.
2. Click on "User CP" (stands for User Control Panel)
3. In the left-hand column you will see your control panel. This is where you go to edit your signature line, email address, profile, etc. Click on "Edit Avatar".
4. In the Avatar window, you have the choice to not use an Avatar (this is the default setting). Alternatively, you can click "Use Custom Avatar". Click this button.
5. If the Avatar you are using is posted online, you can enter the URL for it in the window provided. If you've saved the image to your desktop, click "Choose File" to navigate to the image.
6. Once you've selected the image, click "Save Changes". That's it!