Thread: Help anyone?

Default Help anyone?

It's late sept an I have been out almost every day for a week now trying to find some mallards. So far I have seen about 100 greater scaups and they seem to just swim around me taunting me. I have mallard decoys and calls but none seem to come in. I am in position about 45 minutes before light and start calling about 20 minutes before shooting time. Is it just too early or too late in the season for mallards? Any tips would be great!

The mallards are there, you just have to set up right for them, in the right place and quack the right call. Sorry but I have never hunted in Fbk area, don't know what to tell you. I'd try and find a hunter experienced in your area to hunt with and try to learn from him. Maybe be at a local area where people hunt when they are coming in and see if they are getting mallards and talk to them for ideas. Be careful, that area up there could freeze up at most any time I think, and your hunting will be mostly over for the season. Bud
    Wasilla

Do some research on this forum for some of my earlier post.. Lots of good information.. Call me and I will do my best to explain some tactics and ideas..8300718. Or text me.

the biggest thing to keep in mind for all new waterfowlers.. Is YOU have to be where the birds WANT to be OR in a flight path between feeding, loafing and roosting areas.. If not there.. Might as well be in a Walmart parking lot with a spread of decoys.. Because you won't have a chance in $&@&.

jump shooting is about the only other way to consistency kill birds.. But again.. Where they want to be.

Second is decoys have to be placed in a pattern conducive to what they are doing that time of year.. Weather, wind, sunrise, shadows, time of day all play an important roll in decoy patterns and placement.. Down to where should you put that hen and those drakes, teal, Widgeon, geese, etc in your spread. If it does not look natural or similar to what is in your area and how they are sitting.. It is so difficult to get them to look at it let alone want to land.

calling.. Who cares when you call.. 20 mins before shooting time or not.. Their not going to hear a call and decide" let's go over and find Fred and Frank" or whatever.. That's crazy to think that.. Please get that out of your head now!! Once you see birds.. You have to know many thing..
    1. Are they even workable? How far are they? Is it worth throwing a call at them to see if it can turn them? Then what call are you going to throw? There are 8 notes you need to know.. But only three you need to master.. (Another post) find it.
    2. How are they flying? Are they looking for other ducks to hang out with.. Or on a mission?(going to a feeding area already programmed into their beady little brain) even passing birds can be turned if called to appropriately.. Just have to know what to throw at em.. This comes from practice, mentorship.. If willing to learn..years of experience or just getting out there and hunting and practice..( I mean partice in your truck, home or out in the marsh when not hunting) I have heard some pretty bad hen calls this past couple of weeks.. Not sure what they were trying to do with it.. That's not a bad thing.. They are trying and doing their best.. But you have to know the basics of calling and the notes you are trying to relay..
    allot of this has to do with the time of day and species you are hunting... I could write a book about this..lol
    3. Is it singles, pair or large flock.. Many think it is harder to turn a larger flock and won't even try.. I have had better success with 5-30 birds then I have with singles or smaller flocks of birds under 5. Try.. Just keep trying... But you can't throw a hail call at birds at 50 yards.. Or use a single lonesome hen call at birds that are 200 yards out..
    4. Species..many species will respond to a mallard call and the 7 or 8 notes you need to know.. The mallard call also makes a great diver sound if blown right.. Along with a common whistle making a mallard drake call.. Widgeon or pintail.... Today we called swans with goose calls.. It works.. Experiment and listen to tapes.. Online on your phone.. I think DU has a link on their website you can listen to all the birds calls and different notes. Check it out.
    5. Working them. When to call, reading them on the wing is EXTREMELY important.. Most waterfowlers have no idea how to read birds and know what call to blow and when in regards to how the flock or single bird or birds are working.. Most often they push them away rather then seeing them cupped up in their face!
    6. Patience.. Have patience, don't rush it.. Learn the basics.. If your serious.. It will come to you and you will get better every year. When you hit that comeback call when they just start to turn out there at 75-100 yards and they lock those wings, make that sharp turn and come in on a string.. You won't forget it!.. Have fun.. Don't get discouraged and enjoy the waterfowling sport.

Good luck out there.

Hugh
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

DH01's second paragraph is really important. Are you seeing mallards? Or other duddle ducks? Or are you only seeing the scaup?

If you are only seeing scaup, then you need to find someplace else to hunt for mallards. Probably no food where you are at, so no puddle ducks.

Ya it's only been scaups. Maybe a few mallards but too far off for me to tell....I'm thinking its time to find a different spot. Anybody know of good areas in or around Fairbanks?