Thread: 24' Diesel.... desirable?

Default 24' Diesel.... desirable?

Is a diesel engine for a 24' boat (seasport, osprey, c-dory or the like) desirable even though diesel costs so much more these days, or is it not worth it on such a small boat?

Very desirable if it wouldnt cost any more. Problem is they cost so much $$$$ it would take the average Alaskan boater at least ten years, maybe more, to break even after considering fuel savings compared to the cost of the diesel.

It really depends on your application and usage, and as mentioned, they are desirable and with normal use will last a very long time. But if your replacing an inboard... very expensive. Personally for a glass boat hat is my preference and what I have (although it has twines and is a 32').
    Last edited by tzieli22; 09-25-2013 at 23:35. Reason: Typo
    Tony

They are super desirable until you need a $4k injector pump from volvo...

You can get better nmpg out of a diesel if it is of less HP than a gas motor (it is torque you are paying for), but I have known a few boats where the diesel package is sized for running light and when loaded the boats become pigs (A 26 Seaswirl I know and a 27 Seasport Navigator)...

Replacement 350 bobtail $7k replacement D4 $23k

Equally priced at the time of purchase on a used 24' I'd still buy the diesel.

Sobie2

Maintenance can be expensive, the only other negative that may be a consideration is if you use the diesel to troll with the fumes might get to you.