Thread: Flybridge Hardtop

Default Flybridge Hardtop

Thinking about upgrading my canvas flybridge enclosure with a hardtop. Any suggestions on fabricators in SE AK. The boat is a 54' fiberglass yacht in Ketchikan. Thanks KB

I'd start with a good naval architect. You're talking a lot of weight way up high. A friend enclosed his on a 50' boat, and ended up having to add close to 2 tons of weight to his bilge. The big difference I notice now is on windy days and low speed handling, as in a harbor. Talk about a great big sail when your power and steering are minimal!

Since its a fiberglass boat i'd think your wanting to go with a fiberglass top house ?? If so i'd suggest a foam or nida core & glass build it will be light and strong just make sure where ever it is cut(windows) or drilled(antenna mounts) it is properly decored and filled with hull & deck putty so the core doesn't get wet. Navel architect ?? what you pay that guy you can do the job with !! Take some good pictures of the profile of your boat and start playing with either "paint" on your computer or print the pictures and draw in what you'd like the top house to look like. Post a picture if you have one. Have fun
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Steve, I don't know if I'm wanting to spend the money for for a completely enclosed fiberglass top house yet. I was thinking about getting a hardtop now with canvas sides. The canvas enclosure that's on it now is in need of replacement or repair. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I'll try to find some pictures.

Thats easy just build a foam or nida cored top. If i was closer to you i'd build you one. How big do you think you want it to be? So you want it to attach to your present framework ? I think i'd put the money into a new top house instead of buying new canvas and having it rot away in a few years. There was a thread on The Hull Truth that showed how a guy made a hardtop for his boat out of fiberglass, do a search and see what you think, you might just want to build one yourself. Like i said if i was closer it would be a nice winter project.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I'd sure check with your insurance carrier before dumping the naval architect, especially if adding a full top house.

Mods to bigger boats, especially adding weight up high, are red flags to knowledgeable insurance folks, and they're likely to ask for a full stab report. That's how my bud ended up standing in front of the NA's desk, checkbook in hand.

Here's one picture, I'll try to find some of the inside also.
    Attached Images Attached Images