Thread: Grizz 660 ?'s

Default Grizz 660 ?'s

I hear the grizz has weak axles and tends to boil the gas in the tank. I am considering buying one and was wondering what the fixes for these potential problems are and what they would cost me. Also wondering if a clutch kit is required when you put on larger mudlite tires.

IIRC, it was only the first year the 660 came out that they had problems with the axles being weak. As far as them boiling the gas, yes, that was a problem in the beginning too, but they have redesigned the side panels so it doesn't happen anymore. As far as the clutch kit, yes it is recommended to put one on, but it isn't required. Personally, I wouldn't dig into the clutch unless I was already having problems. I had a buddy that one of the dealers here opened up his clutch without his permission (he had no problems with it up to that point)....after that, he had nothing but problems with his clutch. He also put a clutch kit on his grizzly, but he was running 27" outlaws, which are way more aggressive than mudlites. I feel that if you put the 4 wheeler in low range before going into the mud, you won't have near the problems.

Hi,
    It was actually the 2003 660's that had the axle problems. The 2002's have a different part number. The 2003's had smaller cv's. I have an 02 with 27 inch MudMachines, clutch kit, lift and have had no axle problems. Steer clear of the 03's. The clutch kit is the BEST mod you can do after putting on taller tires. It doesn't matter if they are outlaws or mudlites. Taller tires raises your gear ratio. The clutch kit give it back. I installed mine myself.

As far as the gas, yes, you can boil it in the carb and the Yammie side panel fix helps some but not totally. If I am in low range with the engine under load going less than 5 mph on a HOT day (over 80 degrees) it will happen. Even with all the "fixes". The only thing that cures the issue is just taking the side panels off so air can circulate. With the panels on it just plain gets hot in there. It also has to do with our gas here in Alaska. We pretty mcuh always have the "winter blend". TONS of guys run these machines in hot states and have never had the issue. It's a combination of things.

Having said all that. I love my 02 griz...

Last edited by Snyd; 05-21-2011 at 23:13.

Even some of the newer Grizz's have problems with the axles popping out of the rear diff. Two buddies of mine with 05's have this problem. The problem doesn't seem to be a big concern since there are ton of Grizzleys out there and only a few have the axle pop problem. I think the problem has been link to the c-clip that holds the axles in the diff. I hear Gorilla has a beefier clip that really holds the axles in, that is if you experience that problem. Otherwise I would have absolutely no problem owning a Grizz.

It's just like any other machine on the market. Sometimes problems arise and sometimes they don't. The Grizz is a very stout machine!

Default 07' 660

I have the new 660 and haven't had any problems other than Bad gas. I am looking to put a biggger set of tires on it. Anyone have a sugg???? Is the clutch kit a must if I go bigger?

Thanks for any info!!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by RTC KJN View Post
    I hear the grizz has weak axles and tends to boil the gas in the tank. I am considering buying one and was wondering what the fixes for these potential problems are and what they would cost me. Also wondering if a clutch kit is required when you put on larger mudlite tires.
    You don't say what year Grizz so there's no way to give an accurate answer. There's a 450 grizz, a 660 grizz, 700 Grizz and a 90 Grizz I think.
    Weak axles were on the 2003 660.
    Boiling gas was most prevelent up to 2004, some people have measured the temp of the gas and say it wasn't actually boiling but became turblent for multiple reasons.
    Clutch kit isn't needed unless you go bigger than 28" tires or in some cases with an aggressive 28s. I spun the crap out of heavy 27" 589s on my 05 660 Grizz. I put a clutch kit only so I could REALLY spin the crap out of them and do wheelies.
    As far as popping out a rear axle it's fixed by a retaining clip that is sold by Highlifter for 99 cents. The stock one is spring steel cut from round stock and the HL one is cut from square stock. These things weren't just poping out. In most cases it was from water entering the differential and creating to much pressure or from "riding hard in the mudhole."
    Mudlites aren't considered an agressive tire. More like the cheapest mud tire that is a vast improvement over stock.

Thumbs up Clutch kit

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    I have the new 660 and haven't had any problems other than Bad gas. I am looking to put a biggger set of tires on it. Anyone have a sugg???? Is the clutch kit a must if I go bigger?

Thanks for any info!!
    My attitude is put offset aftermarket rims on it with some good 27 or 28 inch tires. Lots of good tires out there. The rims will give you about 1.5 inch of extra width per side. I have black powder coated c-series cast aluminum. Then, sell your stocker wheels and tires and buy a clutch kit. It makes a HUGE difference in soft terrain, pulling a trailer loaded with moose busting through the brush and slogging in the mudholes. It also helps a BUNCH with reverse since reverse is in high range not low range. Best 200 bucks I spent on my quad after the wheels and tires.

my .02

Yes off set rims are great and it takes away one of drawbacks on a stock Grizz- topheavy. I like my clutch kit but no way is it the top mod on a Yamaha IMO.Having owned many Yamahas I think they're worthless unless both the belt intake and exhaust and the airbox is snorkled. You don't even have to go up to the racks before that belt is slipping from water intake. 2 of my other favorite mods are doing the reverse over ride and the brake and shift over ride so you don't have to push on that dang footbrake to shift.

Default Axles

I had a right rear axle pop out of my '06 Grizzly 660 last fall. I always wondered why this happened as I wasn't abusing it when it happened. I replace the axle as it chewed the splines all to heck on the end. I parked it for the winter and bought a new Grizzly 700 making the 660 my second machine. I went riding this past weekend with a friend who was on my 660 and we ate the axle up again. It turns out that I was sold the wrong axle and I installed the left side axle on the right side and it is 3/4 of an inch too short and it didn't snap into the slot in the pinion gear like it should. I didn't know the difference as I bolted up what I was sold. This time when I installed it the axle snapped into place and it doesn't want to pull back out. I wonder if the people that are having this problem are also having the right side pop out? It turns out that the Micro Filch in the dealership had the wrong part number right from the Yamaha factory. So when they pull up the part number for the longer right side it actually gives them the number for the shorter left side. If any of you ever have this problem make sure you measure the spline on the axle end to make sure you are installing the correct part before you even pull the CV boot apart.

Needless to say my 3 day weekend was ruined on Saturday morning over that one. I loved my 660 and I like the 700 even better but I am very nervous about this axle thing.

DWS

Ya, I rerouted my rear tranny vent to up under the hood to where the intake is. I've done lots of water weelies and never have had water in the belt housing. Reverse overide switch and a zip tie took care of the other two.

Have you taken the rear anti-sway/anti-articulation bar off yet? I did that after my 20 hour break in period when I put my claws on years ago. I gives you your full suspension travel and helps keep the tires on the ground a lot better. Just adjust your spring preload to dial in the suspension. Another great mod is the Highlifter springs for a 100 bucks. MUCH better IMO. Here's what I've done to mine.

27 BiTri Claws, Black C-Series wheels, XTPATV Lift Kit, HL Lift Springs, Black ShockSox, no anti-articulation bar, HL Outlaw Clutch Kit, Yamaha Overfenders, API Stick guards, Warn 2500 winch, reverse overide, rerouted tranny exhaust and my custom seat back/rear rack and foot rests for the wifey. The next mod will be a Rhino!!

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    I had a right rear axle pop out of my '06 Grizzly 660 last fall. I always wondered why this happened as I wasn't abusing it when it happened. I replace the axle as it chewed the splines all to heck on the end. I parked it for the winter and bought a new Grizzly 700 making the 660 my second machine. I went riding this past weekend with a friend who was on my 660 and we ate the axle up again. It turns out that I was sold the wrong axle and I installed the left side axle on the right side and it is 3/4 of an inch too short and it didn't snap into the slot in the pinion gear like it should. I didn't know the difference as I bolted up what I was sold. This time when I installed it the axle snapped into place and it doesn't want to pull back out. I wonder if the people that are having this problem are also having the right side pop out? It turns out that the Micro Filch in the dealership had the wrong part number right from the Yamaha factory. So when they pull up the part number for the longer right side it actually gives them the number for the shorter left side. If any of you ever have this problem make sure you measure the spline on the axle end to make sure you are installing the correct part before you even pull the CV boot apart.

Needless to say my 3 day weekend was ruined on Saturday morning over that one. I loved my 660 and I like the 700 even better but I am very nervous about this axle thing.
    Yes I heard of Yamaha doing this on another forum. Now that you have the right axle order 2 square retaining clips from Highlifter for 2 bucks so you will be ready when it pops out. I replaced my rear right side 2 years ago and the left side finally poped out last fall and I put a square one in (On the trail and in less than an hour-prepared!)

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    DWS

Ya, I rerouted my rear tranny vent to up under the hood to where the intake is. I've done lots of water weelies and never have had water in the belt housing. Reverse overide switch and a zip tie took care of the other two.

Have you taken the rear anti-sway/anti-articulation bar off yet? I did that after my 20 hour break in period when I put my claws on years ago. I gives you your full suspension travel and helps keep the tires on the ground a lot better. Just adjust your spring preload to dial in the suspension. Another great mod is the Highlifter springs for a 100 bucks. MUCH better IMO. Here's what I've done to mine.

27 BiTri Claws, Black C-Series wheels, XTPATV Lift Kit, HL Lift Springs, Black ShockSox, no anti-articulation bar, HL Outlaw Clutch Kit, Yamaha Overfenders, API Stick guards, Warn 2500 winch, reverse overide, rerouted tranny exhaust and my custom seat back/rear rack and foot rests for the wifey. The next mod will be a Rhino!!
    I bought a setxatv snorkle kit before they got knocked out of business by katrina. Came with a modified airbox lid for two 1.5 hoses. Clean setup! I can take water over the seat and well over the racks. It floats. Me and water_ gremlin leave everyone on the otherside of the rivers and ponds Maintain my balance and I go in ANY depth water.
    I had the swaybar off for a month- didn't like it, I drive too fast.
    I got a warn 2500
    589s studded with 2000 carbide studs
    cabelas hardbox
    Dynojet
    HMF
    Uni
    HL clutch kit

I have a buddy who lives in Chugiak with a modded out Griz - 686, etc. SilverTipGriz over at ATVFrontier. He has the setxatv kit also. Your right, clean set up. You may have seen him down there around Kink. I think he has run into WG a couple times.

Default New Grizz update.

Well, I got a chance to put my new wheeler to the test this weekend. The trail to my bear stand is only 2.5 miles, but takes 45 to 50 minutes to ride. It's got a bit of everything to conquer from muddy taundra, to steep hills, to tight turns and even some off camber riding. Most of the riding has to be done in low, especially when towing bait in or bears out. I've done it on 3 different polaris machines over the past 4 years with minimal complaints. The grizz had no problem with the muddy area's especially with the diff locked. But beyond that, I wasn't overly impressed. Both of my headlights bounced out of their sockets (This happened to ATV magazine when they reviewed this wheeler as well), the engine did vapor lock and actually stalled on a couple of occasions, and the wheeler feels more "tippy" than any of my polaris wheelers did. As for riding with the diff locked, forget about it. That was a work out I wasn't ready for. I aslo wasn't as impressed with the power as I thought I'd be. It felt really similar to my 05 Polaris 500 to be honest. The tippy feeling could be from the larger tires so I won't blame yamaha for that. But after riding it all day, I was spent. I'm going to try to find some fixes for these issues, but I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed in the overall performance and comfort of this machine. I don't do a lot of trail riding and I don't do any mud riding (except when unavoidable) on my wheelers. I basically just use them for getting to and from my huntinig areas. This may not be the machine for the job. On a plus side, it is a lot better looking than the polaris wheelers. It also started right up every time. It's over 100 pounds lighter than my polaris 400 as well. I hate comparing this machine to Polaris, but unfortunately that's all I've owned in the past, so it's all I really know. I'll see how it rides on an easier trail (the one out to my buddies bear stand) and give another review at that time.

Shannon