Thread: Anyone try making meat sticks?

Default Anyone try making meat sticks?

Wondering if it is possible to make meat sticks similar in size and shape compared to what a shop like Indian Valley could make. If you had good luck please post some tips.

Go back to my mooseroni post Oct 2012. There are several pages

Those look great, but I did not find any details. I have a little burger and roasts from last year that I would love to make into pepperoni sticks. What are you using to grind and stuff the casings? Where did you get the casings and what kind? What did you mix it with, pork?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Sportsmans, basspro, cabelas all have sausage DIY kits that taste good and are pretty easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Sportsmans, basspro, cabelas all have sausage DIY kits that taste good and are pretty easy to make.
    Have used many of the DIY kits, very easy to do and excellent results.
    Invest in a stuffer though, the grinder attachments are OK but a true stuffer makes short work of stuffing the casings.
    AK Butcher supply sells casings but they are spendy and come in large quantities. Sportsmans has small bags of casings that are better suited to the average guy. I mix pork (butt roasts) to make mine. Smoke them or use the oven to get them up to temp to cook them.
    We make Terriyaki, pepperoni, and cajun usually.
    BK

Do I want collagen casings for pepperoni sticks?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I find the collagen easier to work with, and maybe not quite as good of an end product. The little packages that you get a sportsmans come with the collagen casings. For beer sticks I use clear, for peppstiks I use red. If you use sheep casings, don't forget to rinse well and soak prior to using them. The collagen, I dip in H2O for a second, but you aren't spose to. I use a little bit of olive oil to assist sliding the casings onto the stuff tube. I smoke, then finish in boiling water. If you have an adjustable temp smoker, you can bring up to temp (165 is what I like because I add pork and use bear a lot) then cold water bath to shut down the heat and make the sausage look "plumper". Getting the right meat to fat ratio takes some xperimenting. I like to mix 15 pounds of wild meat, 5 pounds of pork shoulder, and 5 pounds of fat for my brats and b-fast sausage, but less than that for beer stiks and pepp stiks.

Default Sticks

We bought a kit as well and cooked them in the oven. We did cookie sheets at first but they turned out horrible. We used a rack that was like a grate (just wires attached) and that worked perfect they tasted great and had great texture. We didn't mix them with any other meat but it was caribou and that's awesome by itself.

The moose snack sticks turned out great. Can't wait to eat these up and do it again.

"I'd rather be fishing!"

I make salmon pepperoni using half red salmon and half pork shoulder and the hi mountain kit found here:

http://www.himtnjerky.com/snackin-sticks.html

I add some extra crushed red pepper because i like the spice. They stay in the freezer and I eat them all winter long.

first two tries --- I didn't add any fat-- didn't come out very well

last time added pork and beef suet to about 17%.. turned out great

Chris

Hi all, i've just gotten done eating the first batch of sticks i made. I used the high mountain kit and did straight meat, kodiak goat that i got from a friend. I think they turned out great and only a slight bit dry. For all you more experienced sausage makers, is there any kind of dip or cure i can use to help stem the growth of mold on my sticks. I eat them alot but just noticed mold growing on some of them after about 1.5 weeks. Any ideas? Other than eat them faster or freeze???

When fermenting sausages, I have read that you can wipe them down with vinegar to stem the growth of mold. If you are growing mold, it could be that your moisture or temperature are too high. I would thing the vinegar wipe down would work for your sticks. You could add a bit more fat and dry the sticks a bit more, and this should reduce the mold content. Mold needs moisture and oxygen to grow, so your other option would be to vacuum seal your product. Depending on the stick, you could certainly freeze them, but this will sometimes change the texture and then you have to watch for freezer burn. What kind of container are you storing them in? If it is a Ziploc bag, don't seal the bag up in the fridge, same goes for Tupperware storage. Leaving the container open will lower your humidity and retard mold growth.

Made some meat sticks the other day, vacuum sealed and frozen now. I used a mix from High Mountain Seasonings. I did one batch in original and one in hickory. Both turned out great. I used 100% venison, and left quite a bit of deer fat in it; no pork or beef suet added. It did not turn out dry at all. It will be right at home in my hunting pack next year!
    IMG_1311.jpg

I have some moose landjager meat sticks drying now. They should be done curing in a week or two. I'm looking forward to giving them the taste test with beer wash down.
    Attached Images Attached Images