Thread: Anyone brave enough to go in the weather today?

Default Anyone brave enough to go in the weather today?

I took the day off work only to get rained out. anybody else dumb enough to set through the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    I took the day off work only to get rained out. anybody else dumb enough to set through the rain?
    Nope. I hate rain like this. Dont have the day off though, but if I did....I'd probably do it just because I cant help myself, but it wouldn't be my choice of days to take off to hunt. I hunted in the snow storm that wasn't on Monday. Snow is way nicer than monsoon rain.

Nope. Not much that makes me stay home and not sit by a decoy spread. 40 mph wind and heavy rain......... I'm sitting this one out. Inside. Dry......

Bunch of fair weather duck hunters. I wish I was able to get out but instead I got to work in it. There's got to be lightning for me to...... Wait not even that I have hunted in thunder storms.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Could have been the best day of the year. High wind keeps them low and moving. I like the wind, just not the rain, but i went yesterday, and my boat is down until next week now. Bud
    Wasilla

Lane,
    A good friend of mine is hunting over in Cordova right now, staying at a small cabin on a river, that is about all I know. If you see a 16' jon boat with a painted zodiac on top of it wave him down and say hi!

Fair weather........Ahahaha.... Once anyone gets used to the weather in CDV, rain else where isn't even worth putting rain gear on for. Its not raining if goretex keeps ya dry. It coulda been best day of year, but when its blowing 40+ in town its bit higher out on flats. Yukon, will do. If wind dies like it's poda, I'll still get a tide hunt in this eve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Fair weather........Ahahaha.... Once anyone gets used to the weather in CDV, rain else where isn't even worth putting rain gear on for. Its not raining if goretex keeps ya dry. It coulda been best day of year, but when its blowing 40+ in town its bit higher out on flats. Yukon, will do. If wind dies like it's poda, I'll still get a tide hunt in this eve.
    I will try and find out where he is hunting, I know he is dealing with tides where he is. He hasn't posted pictures in a day or two so he may not have coverage where he is.

EDIT: I think he is hunting by the Aleganek slough and he is going to hit Eyak as well.

on a side note, my 18 month old lab, after 25 consecutive mornings of getting up early and sitting in boat, got mad this am and chewed up the only thing she could find. A copy of American Waterfowler, I left in the "office". She hasn't chewed anything in a year so kinda thinkin cause she is frustrated too.......

I Didn't let the weather bother me...Lol. Was a bit chilly and made it hard to keep the action dry as it was raining pretty good, clouds were low and there was a bit of a breeze. The birds didn't care much as I shot a limit in short order and only used 12 shells some of my best shooting to date.(With that said I probably wont be able to hit the side of a barn next trip out.) 2 GWT, 2 Widgeon Hens, 1 Drake shoveler & 3 Pintail Hens. Lot of birds moving about the cottonwood drainage even seen 3 flocks of geese at a distance.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Weather was great!! High winds, rain.. Perfect duck day!! We grabbed another two limits
    !! Skeeter continued to blow me away with his nose.. Fantastic marks and some awesome blind work..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Weather was great!! High winds, rain.. Perfect duck day!! We grabbed another two limits
    !! Skeeter continued to blow me away with his nose.. Fantastic marks and some awesome blind work..
    Even in the worst weather a day of Duck hunting is always made better with a good retriever working the downed birds. Brings a smile to my face even in a pouring rain where ones fingers are numb and the breech of the gun is full of water.
    Jesse

Here is just a few examples of his work today:
    5 Widgeon come in, flare at the last second and start to climb.. We knock down three.. One is stone dead hit the water 40 yards away, two winged birds hit the water, one about 30 yards and immediately starts swimming for the edge of marsh line..third bird land about 70 yards out along the grass line and makes a beeline for the marsh line.. Skeeter marks the first bird that fell.. Nails it and returns to the boat.. I walked him over to line him up on the second closer bird in the grass.. Sent him downwind..a few mins later retuned with the cripple bird.. We take the boat down to where the other one hit the grass line.. Launched her out of the boat and in just a few mins located bird about 20 yards back..

Now for the one that still blows my mind.. Single pintail.. Winged and flys about 100 yards down in the grass behind us.. One if those you dread chugging through the marsh grass to go get even with a dog.. He locked on that bird like a toe missile.. Never has barked or whined befor to go after a bird.. I looked at my buddy and said if he finds this bird..I will let him sleep in the bed tonight... I lined him up.. Knowing he didn't need it and released him... After a few mins of not having any idea where he was other than the occasional sloshing around.. We could barely hear anyway.. Undecided to start the slow trudge through the marsh.. I got about 20 yards from the boat and here he comes. Head up high with the bird!! Was crazy!!

Move over honey... skeeter is moving in tonight..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Move over honey... skeeter is moving in tonight..lol
    With work like that sounds like he earned a soft pillow to lay his head on. Found myself wishing I had taken him in myself a few times. But have my hands full with the four I already have. That said Im glad to see him with you and sounds like you two make quite a pair. Hope, Skeeter steals the blankets.....LMAO
    Jesse

If I had the day off and my hunting buddy did we'd be out there this AM. I live only a few minutes away from cottonwood creek and this morning was crazy rain on the way to work about 730am.

I would have been out but busy with other projects. Now that all the training dogs are out I'm trying to get my summers worth of honey do's and kennel maintenance projects done before freeze up.
    I love wind and rain. I've had some of my best hunts in the crappiest weather.
    Glad Skeeter is doing well for you. He has always liked the birds. He's a good team player. Thanks for giving him an opportunity.

Well didn't make it out yesterday morning, but did head out in the afternoon once it let up a little. All in all it well, should have came back with 2 limits but my partner had some shooting issue's. Ended up with 11, and got to watch the dog do what he loves. Not a bad at all.