Thread: Straight or angled spotter???

Default Straight or angled spotter???

The last step in picking a spotter forms is straight or angled. My intial thought was angled but it was brought to my attention that when sheep hunting a straight spotter may be more advantageous for cresting peaks. Thoughts??

I personlly like my angled scope. Because when I glass I sit down on my but and have a were minmal short tripod I take. I also feel it is easer to my head and eye in position to see better through an angled scope.

I was told that you get a straight scope so that it flies true when you throw it away...
    With that said I bought an angled scope. The Swaro scope that I purchased has the ability to twist within the body of case so that any position is possible. The eyepiece can be angled downward if one were cresting a ridge and used to look over the other side without giving up one's own profile. I can set it up on the shooting bench, angle the eyepiece towards my shooting position and then hardly move from my shooting position to the spotting position to verify hit locations. I'm not sure that every spotting scope has this ability so I'd check it out and save your $$$ so that you only buy one GOOD piece of glass...at least that's my theory.

I have a straight Swaro, and if I had a choice when I got it, I would have gotten the angled. Most glassing for sheep is from below, the angled spotter is more comfortable for prolonged glassing. If you're using a spotter on a crest, you're going to want to keep as low a profile as possible. Then I'd rest the spotter on it's side on the ground/rock/pack or whatever. Just my 2 cents.

I have a straight Swaro as well, and if I had it to do over again I'd buy an angled for the reasons already noted. That said, the straight works just fine and gets the job done.

I've always been a straight kinda guy........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have disc problems in my neck. Straight doesn't cut it. Angled is much more comfortable especially when glassing anything from below. If cresting a ridge, I would be in my binos. I just got a Vortex Razor HD50-11-33x. . Awesome, lite and very packable.

I have a straight spotter, but I have owned angled before. The straight spotter will allow you to have a lower profile when you don't want to be seen. The angled spotter can make viewing easier, especially on the neck. Plenty of times with a straight spotter that you'll have to lay down flat on the ground where you might be able to get away with kneeling with angled glass.

One of my previous spotters that was angled allowed you to rotate the spotter inside of a collar. This way you could rotate the eyepiece to the side which would give you the lower profile.

After taking all of this into consideration....I went with the straight spotter for what is hopefully my last spotter purchase for a looooong time (swarovski 65HD).

I have used and owned several spotters, both straight and angled. I find angled works best for me. I also very much enjoy being able to take photos and video with the camera attached to the scope. The "ram cam" allows multiple hunters to see at the same time.

Best cheaper spotter I ever owned was a Pentax and the best is the Swaro HD65 with wide 20x50 eye piece that I have now.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've always been the straight kinda guy until a angled Swaro was on sale.Will never go back...Took awhile to get the acquisition down,did find a straight to be easier until you get used to the angled spotter.Way less strain on my neck anyways for prolonged spotting than a straight lens.Awsome pic in the rocks Stid,still amazed on how that camo blends in in sheep country.If I still was a camo freak that would be the stuff I'd go for.

I had to look a while to find STID especialy without a nice plate of food. LOL.