Thread: Hunting cow moose during the rut

Question Hunting cow moose during the rut

I've never hunted an anterless tag in late September/early October, but this weekend I'm taking my nephew up to the Fairbanks area to take our first stab at hunting his first drawing permit. I figure that the cows will be at least somewhat herded up by the dominant bulls by this point, but perhaps it's still a bit early for that given our late fall. Any words of wisdom from experience on finding cows this time of year beyond the basics of spot and stalk hunting? I'm sure it will be fairly straightforward, but if there's something that might not be obvious, I'm always happy to learn a new idea.

Sounding like 2 bulls fighting, and cow calls, mainly basic moose calling will bring cows right in a lot of the time during this time of year.

And with a late fall I noticed little difference in timing this year as far as moose responding to calls where I hunt. Big bulls have cows but they will still respond and come in close enough for you to shoot one of his ladies depending on visibility

Brian,

all moose seem to be getting fewer and farther between.

i saw two this evening coming to work -- 530 pm

If you get up here and get one down and need a hand
    give me a call

I have to work the paying job fri-sun NIGHTS
    but will be available otherwise

I still think i would drive Standard Creek wood cutting area as a first try, and maybe try going to the Chatinka river thru Skinny Dick's (rough wet road)

If we hadn't had the fires... you probably would be able to punch the tag before you even got to Fairbanks

Good luck
    Chris

Some more food for thought - I've had moose (all were cows) respond to a predator call while fox hunting. I specified "fox" because all were the wounded rabbit call. If you try it, be sure to use a mouth operated call.

Your timing is not good for finding cows herded up. Around the 16 of September cows have been going into heat the ones that were service or did not find a bull in time will have no interest in finding a bull now. So that leaves only the ones that have not been in heat. Any bull call will bring in a cow looking for a bull. The problem is it will also bring in bulls the good news is if a bull dose not come in he may have a cow with him and you should check it out. If nothing else you will know if you can out run a bull. LOL

You have an airplane and there snow on the ground I would use the airplane it find your moose. The problem you will find is the cow has no reason to stay in one place and may not be there the next morning.

my son had the plaser river cow tag. we went up the river on sunday. ran into a party of three dudes one young man had a bull tag. The tide went out and left us both high and dry. The other partys boat was in a bad spot and they were worried that they would not get a big enough tide to refloat them so as they worked on geting there boat in a better spot, we called in a 50" bull with several cows. When the tide returned at 11 pm we both floated out with boats full of meat. calling works this time of year cow or bull or both.haydens moose.jpg

Thanks again, fellas. Frankly, I hope they're not herded up. If they're spread out, it should be easier to bump into one, which is all we need.

Congrats on the meat, teach! Well done!