Thread: dm795/790 success

Default dm795/790 success

Well after 14days of hunting in the Delta Management unit, I finally seen my first and onlylegal bull..... a small spike, got him when i was on my way back to camp to pack up.So on the last day and hour fortune shined on me and a spike walked in front ofme.
    I however didnít see any legal bullís lots of 40's and 3 brow tines, just none with 4 orbig enough to safely call 50.
    I did find a few dead moose 1 in whichwas a sub legal, so I called the hotline and reported it because the moose wasstill warm. But no one showed up or contacted me. Then I seen a hunter hikingout a set on antlers well under 50 and no brow tines (at least not 4) I askedthem how big he was (because if he was over 50 I for sure let a bunch of legalanimals walk) he said oh I donít know I have a any bull tag.

I thought tomyself for a second and said this is a 50 inch 4 brow tine area by permit,there isnít a any bull season. He swore there was and I donít want to arguewith a fella when he has a rifle in his hand so I told him congrats and went onmy way.

Called a buddywho has hunted this area for 20 years to see if there was a permit out there,he said no, so called the hotline again must of been transferred to 2 or 3different number (thank god I was not bleeding to death). Finally a troopercalled me for description so gave it to him. Turns out they pulled him overoutside delta junction and he had a any bull permit for different area. He wasfined and then i told the trooper about small moose that was shot and took himto the kill site. He was a bit pissed that the sub legal moose wasnít reportedbecause now he was blotted and torn apart by animals. Needless to say the Gamecop was upset that he wasnít notified and he thanked me for calling in thosepeople, even though I felt like i did something wrong by turning them in, theyseemed nice

The wind wasstrong 20-50 mph gusts 10 of the 14 days there. The weather just didnít do meany favors.

Every year clowns roll into 20d thinking its a anybull area little do they know that draw tag for anybull is on the otherside of the delta river idiots... You think they do a little research... As far as the anybull off a harvest ticket in 20d that is clear over by the johnson river... Good on you turning them in shame to here about 790 and low numbers of big bulls...

Congrats on your bull!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Not the big bull i hoped to get but meat in freezer and i split it with a family who also had permit and helped me pull moose out. we backed a 4 wheeler to moose and tilted the wheeler upright, tied the moose legs to front atv rack and then pulled front end of wheeler down and Ill be dammed that moose rolled right onto back rack of wheeler so we rode back to camp, backed up to my trailer and quartered up the animal on my clean trailer, didnt have to bend over to work, fresh coffee brewing on stove in camper and fresh tenderloins fried up, what a day, plus I never seen that system of hauling a moose out I was shocked and surprised how easy and efficient it was. will post some pics of hunt.

We've done a similar kind of maneuver for a big bull with an ATV trailer...unhook the trailer and get it right up to the whole ribcage (minus the quarters) tip the trailer up, roll the ribcage into the trailer, then tip it down & hook it back up to the wheeler, then add quarters...worked like a charm.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Attachment 74057Attachment 74058some bulls I seen, the right moose was about the average i seen

I can't see those attachments Are you using the 'basic uploader'? Tried to sent you a message, but your pm box is full.
    "Grin and Bear It"

just cleared messages

Default some pics

average bull i seen.jpg average bull I seen
    dome lake.jpg Dome Lake

Default More Pics

10 feet.jpg 10 feet
    cow.jpg cow i seen all by herself 3 days straight same place

Default more

loaded on wheelewr.jpgLoaded on wheeler
    my little hunting partners.jpg my weekend hunting partners

Default last

right before i shot.jpg

My spike 3 inch tall 1 inch wide, gave this guy every opportunity to run away, I even went back to camp 15 minute ride to recheck regs, came back and cow called him to 10 feet, wind blowing right to him, and I even slung my rifle and dug out camera for this pic. tender vittles for the freezer.

Yes that moose looks pretty dang close!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Sounds like you were doing the right thing and were rewarded with a good eating moose! Nice seeing the little ones out there giving you a hand.