Thread: Leupold VX-2 leaking?

Default Leupold VX-2 leaking?

I have a Leupold VX-2 that has been sitting on the shelf in my gun cabinet now for a couple of years. I pulled it out yesterday planning to mount it on a rifle and noticed that it appears to be leaking an oil type fluid out of the front where the objective attaches to the tube. I didn't think they have oil in them? Just nitrogen filled? The glass still appears clear and I don't see anything else wrong with it. I thought maybe something had spilled in my gun cabinet but the only damp spot on the carpet was right where that scope has been sitting. It's not a lot just enough to notice that something is leaking. Has anyone ever had a Leupold leak before?

It was probly cleaned and oiled at one time then sat for the couple years that you spoke of. When you moved it to a different position then it leaked.

So your Leupold pee'd on the carpet. Smack it with a news paper, and say, "Bad. Bad, Bad Scope".

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So your Leupold pee'd on the carpet. Smack it with a news paper, and say, "Bad. Bad, Bad Scope".
    AGL I shoulda guessed you would have the answer. Maybe I should have just PM'd ya....

I would clean the scope and use it as it is. If you are not happy with it leupold has a good warranty and very good customer service.

It is lubricant/sealant from the threaded parts that is used during assembly at the factory. Not entirely uncommon. It usually shows on the matte finish scopes the most, and typically when they are new. Wipe it off and enjoy the scope.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    It is lubricant/sealant from the threaded parts that is used during assembly at the factory. Not entirely uncommon. It usually shows on the matte finish scopes the most, and typically when they are new. Wipe it off and enjoy the scope.
    I agree 100%, no leak just lube. Sitting on the shelf for an extended period of time allowed it to settle and drip, unusual but no problem.