Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All of my conversations are recorded!

Default All of my conversations are recorded!

Had a phone convo today with a wildlife trooper concerning some hunt conditions and if the permit conditions apply to those along for the ride and may be back up shooters. At the end of the conversation I asked if this call was recorded. His reply was, "all my phone conversations are recorded".
    This was on his land line. All troopers carry cell phones as well. Not sure about that. They generally record face to face convo's as well, with those portable recorders.
    Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Not sure about AK but down here in Washington both parties have to consent for a recorded call to be legal and/or admissible. If the call started with the standard "your call may be recorded..." computer voice and you stay on the call, that's consent. If not, that's a little odd.

Scott

In the State of Alaska only 1 person has to be knowledgable of a conversation being recorded....

That'd be the guy recording. No consent required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    In the State of Alaska only 1 person has to be knowledgable of a conversation being recorded....

That'd be the guy recording. No consent required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    That seems odd, or wait "unamerican", lol

Thats completely American.

You're free to be as dumb as you like, and the guy on the other end, is free to record it. Freedom for everyone

Yeah, but mention to a trooper that you are recording the conversation and see how they react
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Anyone within the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (that includes both Washington and Alaska) may record law enforcement officials while the officials are engaged in their line of duty without the knowledge or consent of the law enforcement person.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Yeah, but mention to a trooper that you are recording the conversation and see how they react
    You are free to do that, but they are also free to subpoena your recording/device as evidence if you end up in something that goes to court. Trials can take a long time.

Why would you tell them?
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

There is no "expectation of privacy" when speaking with law enforcement. The scenario would be different the LEO didn't identify themselves as LE and tried to introduce the recorded conversation in court.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    They generally record face to face convo's as well, with those portable recorders.

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law!
    And if what is recorded dosent jive with what they want recorded, they WILL change it. Been there, seen it happen, had it happen, its a scientificly proven fact and a matter of Public record that it happens.

Please be very carefull.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Yep and if you carry a cell phone even though you turn it off a special group of folks call turn it on and listen to everything going on around you. It started with homeland security
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Yep and if you carry a cell phone even though you turn it off a special group of folks call turn it on and listen to everything going on around you. It started with homeland security
    lol big brother is watching!

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    lol big brother is watching!
    lol? Doesn't seem very funny to me.

Well unless they to have a recording at all, they can merely deny that any recording was ever made. That's easier than editing it.

Years ago I saw trooper deny in court that any recording have been made at all from either a recorder on the troopers person or on the troopers dash.

Of course that's the end of that story.

The less time spent talking to them the fewer words he can record. When I'm approached I present my license and when it is verified I bid him good bye and go hunting. If I am engaged further I ask if I'm under arrest or free to leave.
    Wardens are important assets in the hunting community but they are not your friends. I am polite yet end any contact as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    The less time spent talking to them the fewer words he can record. When I'm approached I present my license and when it is verified I bid him good bye and go hunting. If I am engaged further I ask if I'm under arrest or free to leave.
    Wardens are important assets in the hunting community but they are not your friends. I am polite yet end any contact as soon as possible.
    Good advice.

I'd say watch out for big brother/ NSA but then they would put me away, say I was paranoid for writing this but they won't have to read it because they knew along..................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    Amen to that! I learned my lesson a while ago. (I don't trust them and in the future, I will say as few words as possible). By the way, they will lie!

Ya'll are a paranoid bunch about Troopers. Heaven forbid part of the reason they record conversations is to catch people breaking the law.....not to mention liability purposes.

Maybe we should take their vehicles from them next? I mean...with the current line of thinking it seems that's what some would prefer....(not catching the poachers or violators).

Well yes most law enforcement work is recorded from voice activated tape recorders in their pocket to video cameras in the vehicles. And the not having to tell the truth is a true story. The use this to entrap people. They call them stings. Once they were at the boat launch in plain clothes trying to get people to take them fishing for money, thankfully I wasn't feeling social.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast