Thread: Did the Black Nitrude Treatment on 3 Rifles

Default Did the Black Nitrude Treatment on 3 Rifles

Just recieved my rifle parts back from Black Nitride treatment yesterday. From the day I shipped them out UPS ground to when I got them back was 17 days. Great turn around! Price was $200 for batch, plus $30 shipping to plus $50 Insurance plus $30 shipping back... I took the chance they wouldn't be lost coming back. I'm thinking this would be a great treatment for Alaska rifles.

Alleged and hoped for benefits...

-Longer barrel life

-Less fouling

-Easier cleaning

-Increased corrosion resistance, almost corrosion proof

-Extremely durable, practically bullet proof finish. Much more durable than Cerakote. Rockwell hardness approx 70

-Increased velocity

This is the outfit that did them...

http://www.blacknitride.com/whatis.html

I am super happy with the results so far. They look and feel great!

Components treated were...

(1) 300 Ultra Match Barrel w/Muzzle Brake
    (1) 6.5mm WSM Barrel w/Muzzle Brake
    (1) 6mm x 284 Barrel w/Muzzle Brake

(1) Smith & Wesson Reciever

(1) Weatherby Vanguard Reciever

(1) Remington 700 Reciever

(1) CM Bolt Body #195
    (1) CM Bolt Body #532
    (1) SS Bolt Body (no number)

(2) CM Bolt Shrouds
    (1) SS Lug

Here are the pics. I would describe the finish as a satin/matte black. Lighting isn't great but you get the idea.

"You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

$200 for all three guns or per gun? Who did you use?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy, the batch cost was $200. It could be one barrel or up to 3 rifles. They do handguns and other things as well. I was told my quoted batch price was incorrect but was charged for the phone quoted price. Current batch charge is $250 which is still very good.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

[QUOTE=ADfields;1328817 Who did you use?[/QUOTE]

H&M

http://www.blacknitride.com/whatis.html
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Did you have to send disassemble the barrel and receiver before you sent it to them? I have an older stainless 700 I'd like to have done.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Did you have to send disassemble the barrel and receiver before you sent it to them? I have an older stainless 700 I'd like to have done.
    I should hav mentioned that nitiriding is usually for new or barrels with a low round count. There are some different processes out there and the H&M BlackNitiride process is a little lower temp than the Melonite process that TruTec uses. 1000* vs 1100* TruTec says not to treat old barrels that may have fire cracking or eroded throats. Best thing to do is give H&M a call and see what they say.

Yes, all parts to be treated must be disassembled. I broke down the bolts to the bare bolt body and steel shrouds. The Rem 700 had an aluminum PTG shroud which can not be treated. No aluminum or springs. Only steel. H&M will take cast steel, like the Howa/Vanguard/S&W actions. Trutec will not.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I should have mentioned that nitiriding is usually for new or barrels with a low round count.
    I did break-in my barrels and give them an accuracy check before sending them in. Also, all copper and carbon fouling must be removed.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Thanks. I was more interested in doing it to cover up the stainless finish since the rifle is 20+ years old and probably has a few hundred rounds down the tube.

The results are beautiful. I just cannot wrap my head around how the hardness of the receivers/barrels/bolts remain essentially unchanged. I watched this done on Discovery Channel, they had a segment showing the process.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    The results are beautiful. I just cannot wrap my head around how the hardness of the receivers/barrels/bolts remain essentially unchanged. I watched this done on Discovery Channel, they had a segment showing the process.
    Thanks, I thought they came out very nice as well. IMO, it's a good compromise between the traditional bluing finish and a more weather resistant finish like SS or Parkerization. The color is similar to Parkerizing but the feel is slick like traditional blueing. The bolts are unbelievably smooth. For those who like other color schemes, you can get it Cerakoted but DuraCoat probably wouldn't work well.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Thanks. I was more interested in doing it to cover up the stainless finish since the rifle is 20+ years old and probably has a few hundred rounds down the tube.
    You could always call H&M and find out what they think.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Thanks for the info MR, Iíll ring um up.

PRDATAR if what your looking for is loosing the stainless just Duracoat it. For about $35 you can buy a kit that has everything you need to DIY it in one color.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona