Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks to the pilots in 16B who fly more than they hunt !!!

Default Thanks to the pilots in 16B who fly more than they hunt !!!

So I have been over across the inlet for two weeks moose hunting .. My dad has 3 good spots to land his cub in that we maintain each year .. It's the same thing every year , We put in all the work, everybody else wants a place to sneak into !! After hunting a week At my brothers camp , My dad shot a small meat bull over on my strip I told him I'd help him pack it out and then I want to hunt over there.. Well we got him loaded in the cub and dad headed Back home to unload the bull.. That evening While sitting at camp I noticed airplanes flying in circles just east of my strip About a mile away.. Well these cubs flu around in circles and circles and circles I'm talking like 20 times( not sure of the Laws of animal harassment ) But there's no real good places to land anywhere around my strip .. Well the next morning comes around and at about 9 o'clock here comes the airplanes again flying in circles .It is.so irritating when your hunting in calm weather with Bulls grunting & cows bellering but all you hear are airplanes circling .. This goes on for about 5 days , each day the planes would get closer.. !!finally After one night of the same antics, the 2 float planes found a strip of water about 3/4 mile from me , that night I had seen what they were flying all around about , But he was all the way across the swamp close to where they landed .. He looked huge from 3/4 mile away ... Well the next morning when I was climbing up in my tree stand , I heard four gunshots go off and later that afternoon seen to Cubs fly out of there.. It made my heart sink but hey that's part of the game ..not Much to do but keep on hunting ... So my Dad flew back To my camp to bring back some food and gear And finish the rest the hunting season off with me. When He landed and hopped out of the plane & looked at me I could tell he seen something he really liked .. Well not only 1 but 2 Big Bulls were on the edge of the timber across the swamp from my stand.. As I sat in my stand that evening , just at dusk I heard a hell of a horn thrashing across the swamp, about 5 min later I picked out a cow and then seen some Big Wide Paddles moving around in the alders and I knew it was the Big Boy ... The cow starting working across the swamp & the Big Bull was right behind her .. Only thing was they were about 600 yards away . By the time they made it to my side of the timber it was getting dark and the wind switched , the last I heard was some grunting & thrashing that sounded only about 200 yards from me .. I made my way back to the tent and told my dad about what just happened & just hoping he wouldn't move off ..
    The Next morning I went out to my stand and sat in there for maybe an hour without hearing anything and the wind was picking up .. Just then I heard a loud thrash & I looked to my left and coudl barley see a cow And she was making a move towards the Woodline .. I decided To climb down and see if I couldn't get a quick shot at that bull .. I work my way over to a little bit of clearing and could barely see the bull just about to leave , So I posted up on a little Sprucetree and started to let the lead fly !!! I watched the big bull hit the ground and it was like the earth was lifted off of my shoulders .. I walked back to camp and met up with my dad ..He asked if I got him , and I told him that those air planes can fly around him all they want because He Ain't Going nowhere Now !!! Hahahaha !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your airstrip? So is it a private airstrip that you own? I fly a Stinson in 16b but only because I live in 16b and it is my transportation. Just remember that if you don't live in 16b and I do then that makes you a visitor! Nice bull by the way!

Nice bull! crazy brows on the right side! So if I put in work in clearing a trail for my 4 wheeler does it make it my trail? Federal and State land are for recreation purposes. If you don't own it, it is everyone's to enjoy. How do you know your the only people who help maintain the strip? With that many planes flying I'm sure someone lends a hand every once in awhile... I certainly am not the only one who clear trail for 4 wheelers.

I think we are missing the OP point, He seems upset about all the flying around in circles apparantly disturbing game. Which if I am not mistaken is illegal to harass game or hunting. I would be pissed if someone were to be flying circles around me while I am hunting just as I would if someone was driving up and down an ATV trail close by. Who built these strips or trails is irrelevant. Just my two cents. And yes that is a very impressive bull. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by akpredator View Post
    So my Dad flew back To my camp to bring back some food and gear And finish the rest the hunting season off with me. When He landed and hopped out of the plane & looked at me I could tell he seen something he really liked .. Well not only 1 but 2 Big Bulls were on the edge of the timber across the swamp from my stand.
    So you and Dad, to some extent, did the same thing the other 2 planes did..............hunted moose you spotted originally from the air. Is that correct?
    Congrats on a dandy bull.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Just curious, would the same day airborne law apply to you if you had shot it that evening? Even though you didn't fly that day, your dad did and told you where a bull was. Something to keep in mind, not sure how that works.

Man theres a lot of sticklers on this site these days.. Congrats on a heck of a moose!

Wow, that's a nice bull! Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    I think we are missing the OP point, He seems upset about all the flying around in circles apparantly disturbing game. Which if I am not mistaken is illegal to harass game or hunting. I would be pissed if someone were to be flying circles around me while I am hunting just as I would if someone was driving up and down an ATV trail close by. Who built these strips or trails is irrelevant. Just my two cents. And yes that is a very impressive bull. Congrats.
    my point exactly Steve O .. Thanks
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Your airstrip? So is it a private airstrip that you own? I fly a Stinson in 16b but only because I live in 16b and it is my transportation. Just remember that if you don't live in 16b and I do then that makes you a visitor! Nice bull by the way!
    no , not a private strip , just one of three that we hiked in and cleaned off and have kept maintained for the past 30+ years we have hunted there ..if it would make you feel better i will call the strips A, B & C strips .. we just name them after the 3 of us that hunt there and do the up keep .. and no i havent seen your stinson buzzing and circling moose at night and mornings around strip "C" .. but i do have Tail #'s of cubs in the area harassing moose and camps and will be turned in .. just because there is no plane parked on a strip it dosent mean that no one is there watching from the trees ..

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    So you and Dad, to some extent, did the same thing the other 2 planes did..............hunted moose you spotted originally from the air. Is that correct?
    Congrats on a dandy bull.

I guess ... we usually wont hunt a area we dont see moose in ... but he just saw them when he was coming in to land , he wasent out buzzing around like a vulture ... we are ethical hunters and do not fly and shoot or heard moose , it just sucks that there are so many people out there with no respect .. as far as one guy telling another about a moose he saw ,i honestly dont know the legality on that , he was not shot on that night so it dosent matter . but i would like to know the answer if anyone knows ..

Quote Originally Posted by akpredator View Post
    i do have Tail #'s of cubs in the area harassing moose and camps and will be turned in .. just because there is no plane parked on a strip it dosent mean that no one is there watching from the trees ..
    Thank you for doing this. I do the same thing. I have a whole collection of tail numbers from the spots I hunt. Guys who make a low pass and move on, I ignore. The ones that circle, dip wings, circle, circle, circle, etc, get photo'd or tail numbers recorded via binos. Especially if I believe they have comms of some sort with people on the ground. The online FAA tail number registry website is a great tool for figuring out who is a tool.

yeah , i wish they would make it mandatory to have the larger # on the side of planes .. alot of sneaky planes with tiny #'s that are hard to tell unless they have a custom paint job or visible modifications

Default not really

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    if somebody is on your property, they would be a visitor.
    otherwise, they are not.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    if somebody is on your property, they would be a visitor.
    otherwise, they are not.
    Alexander owns unit 16, just ask him, he'll tell ya...but whatever you do, don't ride a wheeler in his unit or you have to bear his wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Alexander owns unit 16, just ask him, he'll tell ya...but whatever you do, don't ride a wheeler in his unit or you have to bear his wrath.
    Well if he owns unit 16...then of course all the trails there belong to him too.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    And lately he was crying about the city folk coming over on expensive side-by-sides doing this and that in his unit, making life hard on himself, yet he's flying around in a Stinson. TFF!

Nice Bull!

Bull akpredator.jpg
    "Grin and Bear It"

Congrats on a dandy bull! Sounds like you had an excellent hunt and enjoyed it. That is all that matters!

That's a nice bull!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast