Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesson learned

Default Lesson learned

At one point or another we were all new to hunting alaska whether it be moose, caribou, bears sheep or goats, to haul road, fly-ins, walk-ins, gear, What is the 1-2 pieces of advice or gear you wish you had from the beginning? I look forward to reading these.

For overnight or extended trips a 4pack of rockstars Is a must, I don't even care about the extra weight in the pack, it is well worth it. Other than that maybe my grizzly rain jacket from 3-bears for 50$.... Lightweight# breatheable#waterproof to the max# stylin bruh

extra cordage.- whether 5/50 or other light rope.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinfool590 View Post
    At one point or another we were all new to hunting alaska whether it be moose, caribou, bears sheep or goats, to haul road, fly-ins, walk-ins, gear, What is the 1-2 pieces of advice or gear you wish you had from the beginning? I look forward to reading these.
    Well, since the gear I had at the "beginning" over 30 years ago consisted of an old metal framed pack, jeans, sneakers, lots of military surplus gear, and cans of chili. I'd have to say the piece of gear I wish I had most at the beginning, was a can opener...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

This wasnt that long ago for me, but the biggest thing i learned is to prepare, prepare, prepare. Preparing for one week long trip a year in advance is way better than spending your weekends driving around on a four wheeler thinking you are going to see something with all the other people doing the same thing. If you can get to it by road or wheeler, you better bring spare gas and drive till your empty....

A Katadyn Base Camp Micro Filter is the best investment I've made in awhile. Saves me so much hand pumping that I make sure it's the first thing I pack.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Katad...h-All+Products

Making a list and checking it twice. Seriously.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

don't get your ranger stuck by your self out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to winch off off, buy a danforth mud/sand anchor and keep on ranger. Had some good friends I was able to call after I walked out and got with in cell phone range and came and pulled me out, owe them big time.

advice: plan plan plan, then think about the worst that could happen, and plan again.

gear: synthetic clothing and woolblend socks, plus the most comfortable Gore-Tex hunting boots you can find.

Baby wipes.

Hunting with a bad case of monkey butt is not all it's cracked up to be.

PATIENCE... oh and coffee

When it comes down to it, ya gotta get up off the couch and get out there........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Ohio Blue Tip Matches

Planning and patience! Figure it out quick if you want to hunt or just go on a camping trip with guns. This will dictate the type of hunting partners you end up with.

As a realtive newbie myself, i can't offer a lot of advice, but the best glass you buy and again, the patience, its key

No matter how clear of a day it is, no matter how perfect the forcast is or appears, no matter how much you know your area, no matter how far you can see with difinitive landmarks, even with the map and compass in your pocket; GPS the spot you want to get back to. When the temp and dew pt get close, the fog forms in the air and seeing past 15-20meters is a no-go, then landmarks are not visible and this way looks like that way and the way we're going looks like the way we came.......etc. been there done that. Learned the hard way....

Dress in layers, none of which are cotton.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Patience and persistence...not necessarily in that order.

Good quality bino's. 8x42 or 10x42 would be a good start. The little pocket bino's I used for whitetail hunting just didn't cut it up here. And a set of Helly Hanson impertech rain gear
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    When it comes down to it, ya gotta get up off the couch and get out there........
    The outdoor forum really needs a 'like' button

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast