Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One piece of advice

Default One piece of advice

At one point or another we were all new to sheep hunting. What is the one piece of advice you wish you had from the beginning? I look forward to reading these.

Your boots are the single most important piece of gear. DO NOT SKIMP
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Learn to field judge sheep.
    Rams will seldom give you a proper look at their horns up the spiral from the side. This view, I learned the hard way, rarely appears in a natural setting. When it does appear it most likely will only last for a second as the ram turns its head. If your eye is not on the scope at that second you will miss it.
    Learn how to judge from above and behind. Hunting from above you will almost never see the curl, so how do you tell it's FC? You need to look at a lot of sheep and talk to a lot of sheep hunters to learn what to look for. (Lots of this info is already posted so search it out.)
    Sheep will be resting on a cliff or out eating and walking around with their heads down in the grass. They might pick their head up every 10 minutes when grinding out chow. With their horn tips buried in grass how do you tell if its FC?
    Learn all you can about field judging a legal ram. You will see many rams that are "is he or ain't he" than you will see rams that are "shoot him!"

+1 on good boots, only time I ever had to quit on a hunt, was because of boot stretch.

Get the best glass you can, hunt with your eyes and not your feet.

Don't walk past sheep to find sheep.

Always keep your pack and items to spend the night and buck up game with you at all times and don't be afraid to stop at dark in place and continue the hunt when it gets light or the weather improves. Don't waste energy just to get back to "CAMP"

Stay in the game until you unload your weapon, never know when you might have an opportunity.

Practice to become the best you can be with your weapon of choice.

Become a student of sheep horn growth, study how each mountain range grows horn. Get your hands on as many sets of horns as you can and listen to any sheep hunter that will share any info with you.

Good luck Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Buy the best gear you can. Quality rain gear is a must along with a sleeping pad and sleeping bag. You can hunt in tennis shoes, but once you get wet, bad things can happen.

Because all sheep threads need photos...

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

....Don't walk past sheep to find sheep.

Screwed up that one this year. Good advice Steve.

I'd have to say that this is a big one. One year me a friend of mine killed 2 rams in a pretty small area on the 13th day of the season. If I recall there were 8 camps up on top on opening day. Sometimes I think some sheep "hunters" think that all you have to do is stand around the top of a mountain and the sheep will be running all over. Needless to say, after that first day, the sheep we killed were halfway down the mountain....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

+1 on good boots, only time I ever had to quit on a hunt, was because of boot stretch.

Get the best glass you can, hunt with your eyes and not your feet.

Always keep your pack and items to spend the night and buck up game with you at all times and don't be afraid to stop at dark in place and continue the hunt when it gets light or the weather improves. Don't waste energy just to get back to "CAMP"

Stay in the game until you unload your weapon, never know when you might have an opportunity.

Practice to become the best you can be with your weapon of choice.

Become a student of sheep horn growth, study how each mountain range grows horn. Get your hands on as many sets of horns as you can and listen to any sheep hunter that will share any info with you.

Good luck Steve
    this is about the best advice so I will quote it so it gets read again..

to add to it I never leave camp or let my hunters leave camp without a sleeping bag and a space blanket in my pack, no matter what you can make it through the night any where if you are warm..

1. throw all those sheephunting books and videos from the "experts" in the fire' sheep cant read and they follow thier own set of rules. Spend time in sheep country whether hunting or not and let the sheep teach you..

2. dont walk up the center of a valley, sheep have 10x eyes and you are a preditor and they are watching you.
    3. spot well, single big rams usually have a perch where they are almost invisible from the valley floor, sometimes all you will get is a view of a horn.
    4. lots of big rams are solitary so dont look for them in groups
    5. ignore #4 big rams will sometime surprise you, I know of a 43" taken out of a group of ewes at 1000' in a open area
    6. dont hunt sheep from the bottom, get above them preditors hunt from below
    7. dont be afraid to think outside the box..
    8 always try to come down the way you went up. shortcuts are generally not so short..
    9 you will want to quit I promise,, when you do just take a break and visualize why you are there,if needed set up a tent and take a nap and you will be refreshed...
    10 take care of your feet they are the most important piece of gear you have..

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Buy the best gear you can. Quality rain gear is a must along with a sleeping pad and sleeping bag. You can hunt in tennis shoes, but once you get wet, bad things can happen.
    But only if they are old school Jordan's, right?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    this is about the best advice so I will quote it so it gets read again..

to add to it I never leave camp or let my hunters leave camp without a sleeping bag and a space blanket in my pack, no matter what you can make it through the night any where if you are warm..

1. throw all those sheephunting books and videos from the "experts" in the fire' sheep cant read and they follow thier own set of rules. Spend time in sheep country whether hunting or not and let the sheep teach you..

Wanted to clarify something so I am not misunderstood , I have heard nothing but good from hunters I trust about fullcurls video...

Fresh off my first time... here's my advice:

There are no practice sheep hunts. One is either sheep hunting or he is not. I took the gear required to hike and camp in the mountains for a few days, and I took a rifle, but once the sheep was dead on the ground, I had no idea what to do. Talk to as many people as you can about taking animals apart in the field, caring for meat, capes, horns, etc.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

1. Throw all those sheephunting books and videos from the "experts" in the fire' sheep cant read and they follow thier own set of rules.
    what!!!????

Wanted to clarify something so I am not misunderstood , I have heard nothing but good from hunters I trust about fullcurls video...
    Whew......:-)

Actually I don't understand what you guys are saying about walking past sheep. I walk past them all the time. See some sheep, none legal, keep walking. What's the problem? Can you clarify?

My advice that hasn't been covered yet:
    Trekking poles are mandatory. Two, not one.
    Tie a little piece of orange flagging to your binos and spotting scope. That way when you leave them on the ground and walk off you can more easily find your oops.
    Try everything before taking on a sheep hunt. Even a new pair of socks.
    Learn to take quality photos, especially kill scene or hero shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post

Tie a little piece of orange flagging to your binos and spotting scope. That way when you leave them on the ground and walk off you can more easily find your oops.
    Dang your a little late with this advice..lol. I lost a swarovski spotter several years ago when the tip of a sheep horn worked the pocket loose on my pack while packing out. Had several guys looking for it ever since with no luck... Well that's what they are sayin anyway... Lol
    Good advice in the flagging...

My most memorable hunts were back when we did not have experts giving great advise, if your a hunter you'll do just fine,if you don't have the money to buy top quality equipment that's ok, some of the best sheep ever taken were back in the day we didn't have the best gear,please don't get caught up in the gear war, cause you can put a pile of money into a sheep hunt. Everyone here has given you good advise. If I had one word of advise for a first timer it would be to get yourself mentally prepared for hard work and whatever mother nature will deal you.
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Actually I don't understand what you guys are saying about walking past sheep. I walk past them all the time. See some sheep, none legal, keep walking. What's the problem? Can you clarify?
    This year I walked past several hidden valleys that I knew were likely to hold rams, BUT I also knew got some pressure from a nearby guide camp. Went over a pass and back in quite a ways to look at some valleys that I thought would be far enough back to be essentially un-hunted. Turned out all they held was ewes and lambs. Lots and lots and lots of ewes and lambs, but ZERO rams. Eventually backed out 6 miles closer to the strip and found a big ram in one of those side valleys. He gave me the slip in clouds and fog, and eventually I ran out of time to hunt him down. If I would have taken the time to look in that valley (that I knew was a ram valley!) on the way in, I very well could have saved myself 30 miles of walking and put that ram on the wall.

Yk

Lots of good advice here. Gear matters as it pertains to survival and being able to persevere, so in the context of boots, tent, and raingear, buy the best you can. Beyond that, sheep man is right that you can get by with what you have. That brought the following advice to mind:

Go. There are all sorts of reasons to justify putting off a hunt from not enough time to give it a real effort, not enough training, not enough money to fly out, not enough time spent scouting, etc. Yes, it would be great if all our sheep hunts came with 10 days in the mountains, great cardio fitness, lots of time spent scouting legal rams and access points, and perfect weather forecast. If those things don't come together, though - go anyways. My first sheep was taken when I was 19 and basically clueless. I just went. I had mediocre gear, very little knowledge of sheep habits beyond just some basic hunting experience, no time spent scouting that fall, and only a relatively short window to work with. I took my first ram that fall and it still is the one I treasure most despite being my smallest. There are lots of years where I don't connect (including the past several), but when I get time, I try to go even if it's not the perfect scenario. Time spent in the mountains is never time wasted, and sometimes lightning strikes.

One other bit - train for sheep hunting by spending time in the mountains - year round if at all possible. There is no reason that you can't climb mountains all winter long. I can't for the life of me understand why sheep hunters would choose to do gym workouts or home video workouts when the mountains beckon. It's a more representative workout, and more importantly, it is way more enjoyable.

does that mean the money spent on books like mr. batins and tony russ sheep book are a waste of money? great post.
    wes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast