Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

You let a friend borrow your gun and it comes back with rust spots on entire bolt assembly, trigger and screws to scope pitted with rust. The rest I pretty much brushed off. Keep I mind I haven't been able to fully take it apart and see what the insides like. I've only shot it 12 times before he borrowed it. Would you make him buy me a new gun.
    ? He has offered and I did have him sign an agreement that it would be returned in the same condition it was borrowed.

Also turns out that the case was soaked which he said but when I rang it out it wasn't water it was gasoline.

I'd say he just bought your gun and case.

With friends like that.....Wow....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I Know right. Definitely never thought he would be that guy that's for sure. Lesson learned

if he has offered...
    then he knows he is responsible.

Not, like he gace it back to you and said nothing, -- or didn't get it back to you at all.

Sometimes, you got to listen to their story of how S ___ hit the fan.

truck roll-over? 4 Whlr? plane wreck? How did gas get in the gun case?

He got soaking wet, near hypothermia? and needed to start fire right away.. then screwed up with gun case too close to the fire??

Guess, till you hear his side of the story-- you will just have to let him give you money to repair the rifle and replace the case.

my 4 cents worth

Chris

Said case got wet in the boat ride from his bear hunt and said he wiped the salt water off it when he was home but since there was rust spots in the case it says to me it sat in there for about two weeks. As for the gas I have no explanation

so you know he didn't wipe it down every day.

still doesn't mean he's a bad guy.. just doesn't do maintence well.

(do not let him work on your truck, house, ect)

Chris

Don't want to sound like a spoil-sport, but I would NEVER lend anyone my firearm(s), at least unless I was right there next to them as in the case of theirs not working for some odd reason.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

sounds to me like he is ready to take responsibility, so let him buy you a new gun and case, and give him your rusted gun and gas-soaked case.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I often loan guns, gear, wheelers and other stuff to friends and family, and I do so knowing that it will most likely be returned in the same condition as when it left. However, the moment it is loaned, I mentally assume that it is gone and never coming back.... its "stuff" and sometimes bad things happen to "stuff"... if youre going to be a pansey and cry about your rusty gun, then dont loan any of your stuff out! Not that hard to figure out.. if your buddy or whomever needs to borrow something, it usually means that they cannot afford the item they wish to borrow, which in turn usually means that same buddy wont be able to replace your item if it gets damaged or destroyed. Your buddysucks, but hey, hes your buddy and you were the one that loaned him stuff. And you made him sign some sort of waiver?! Haa, haa, ha... i dont know what that is, but it doesnt sound like a good way to go about loaning things out..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Your in a tough spot. Evidently it bothers you enough to post it on here so I would let him replace it if he offered. I have a few friends and a bunch of acquaintances. True friends are very important to me, almost like family, and I treasure their friendship. None of my rifles are as valuable as their friendship and we forgive each other and make it right if one of us is in the wrong. So let him replace it if he is a true friend or an acquaintance, or at the very least he can pay to have it refinished. I know several good hunters that do not take very good care of their fire arms and eventually a gun problem arises. Just yesterday at work a guy showed me a picture of his brown bear and rifle that fell in the river. He had not pulled the wood stock from the blued barreled action yet, and looked surprised when I told him he will find rust. I have certain guns I would not loan out. My family and friends would not even ask to borrow them.

From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1602:

LORD POLONIUS:

Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

I will loan out my firearms on a regular basis. I have also borrowed them in times of need. It can make life easier and more enjoyable. That being said, if you loan a firearm out on a in-the-salt bear trip, bad things can happen. I have a friend who grew up in a not hunting family, and he had the opportunity to go out on POW for deer. I let him take my rifle. As one would imagine, it rained the whole trip, and between that and being in a boat, the gun came back with some rust on the scope screws, a bit on the trigger, and a few new scratches in the stock. But my buddy got his first deer, (his first animal at that), and I am happy it was my gun that got it. I let my sister use my newish at the time SBE to hunt geese, and it came back with a big scratch in the stock from some barbed wire, but she got to hunt geese. In these instances, it was merely cosmetic, and added another story to the firearm, which for me is fine. There is a reason I buy working firearms with synthetic stocks. I can look at that gun, and even though I wasn't there, I can think about the adventure that gave it the battle wound. That being said, in your case it sounds more like neglect and carelessness as much as tough hunting conditions. That is unacceptable. If he offered to buy the gun, take him up on it. Now the gun with the battle wounds can be his, and you can replace yours.

If he will continue to be your friend just brush it off,lesson learned.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

A good friend is harder to find than a new rifle... If he is a good friend and offered to buy the gun, check into getting it refinished which should be a lot cheaper than a rifle, or ask him to check into getting it done... I wouldnt trade a rifle for a good friend/hunting partner... I would be a little more cautious on letting him use my stuff...

Rust on a gun, so what? Gives it character, unless you purchased it as an investment. Clean it up and store it for next season. I would loan my guns (except for one) and when I loan one, I mentally "write it off" in case it never comes home. Karma will take care of you (good or bad,) no matter what you decide to do...

I think if he's a good friend let it slide. Plus if he had to borrow it in the first place maybe times are tough and he can't exactly afford to replace it anyhow. I'd say rust is mostly cosmetic and I'm sure you know it'll still do the job. If he know your upset but that you'll get over it maybe someday some good will come your way for being a good friend.

I have hunted around the salt a lot and can tell you for sure even a stainless rifle will rust as you described in HOURS not days when in a soaked case. I have seen this over and over.

Don't lose a friend over a little rust.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    I often loan guns, gear, wheelers and other stuff to friends and family, and I do so knowing that it will most likely be returned in the same condition as when it left. However, the moment it is loaned, I mentally assume that it is gone and never coming back.... its "stuff" and sometimes bad things happen to "stuff"... if youre going to be a pansey and cry about your rusty gun, then dont loan any of your stuff out! Not that hard to figure out.. if your buddy or whomever needs to borrow something, it usually means that they cannot afford the item they wish to borrow, which in turn usually means that same buddy wont be able to replace your item if it gets damaged or destroyed. Your buddysucks, but hey, hes your buddy and you were the one that loaned him stuff. And you made him sign some sort of waiver?! Haa, haa, ha... i dont know what that is, but it doesnt sound like a good way to go about loaning things out..
    first of all he brought out a lender agreement when he came to pick it, and second your comment was unnecessary. I'm just seeing what others would do. Not crying about anything. I know he accepts responsibility

I told him our friendship isn't going to be ruined over it as I don't want it to. But he said he's a man of his word and it would come back in the same condition and he knows it didn't so he wants to make it right. Thank you for the responses

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast