Thread: Sheep

Default Sheep

Besides the typical Brooks Range answer, I was wondering about some other areas to hunt sheep. I have been told about 13C(TMA) thoughts on this area?? Also looking at maybe doing a walk in around Healy? Does any one have some more remote walkins say 10+ miles from roads? Im just fishing for info and I know must sheep hunters are tight lipped, but i will get the same answers if I never asked in the first place.

Name fullcurl rings a bell#proving trail adventures# definitely reccomended you pick up a copy of the video, big fan. Definitely some inspiring words of wisdom. I have never had much success trying to get info out of people on sheep hunting, and areas. Pretty much just have picked areas from the highway that have sheep and then usually just head in further than others are willing to go plus be prepared to spend a couple days in survival mode in sheep country for sure.

TMA - apply every year. It's worth it. For hunt planning consider flying in rather than walking. For walking in there are only a few options that are obvious once you look at the map. And unlike other places there will be FC rams "close" to the road. HA!

Google for dall sheep research maps that show ranges and habitat. Then review the regulations to find HT rather than draw tags. Then scout over the summer. Plan on spending three or four day weekends scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinfool590 View Post
    Does any one have some more remote walkins say 10+ miles from roads?
    ......Yes.

Don't forget about using the POOL TOYS!

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Move to the Basin.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    ......Yes.
    Care to share any? PM?

Care to share any? PM?
    Just buy his DVD. It's all in there.

Care to share any? PM?
    You could do a search on here there are tons of threads or you could buy his DVD where he tells you how he decides where to go. Its a good video.

All the mountains with sheep on them in Alaska you can access by walking in, but with that said, bring some waders, because you may/or will be crossing water at some point. Sheep hunting is not hard to figure out, F&G site has a map that shows you their habitat. Pick a mountain range and start walking, I'm sure you'll see sheep, might even see rams, legal ones if your lucky.

I know proving trails won't tell you where they go, thats there own little honey hole. If you been up here for a while, its not hard to figure out where they hunt. Are you just limited to walk-ins? I f I were you, I'd fly-in then walk your 10- plus miles, get away from others and get as remote as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Move to the Basin.
    Best sheep hunting advice

Problem with fly in hunts is you have to fly in then still hike 10+ miles to get away from people. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Problem with fly in hunts is you have to fly in then still hike 10+ miles to get away from people. :-)
    Thats because your flying into the Brooks where half the state residents go to sheep hunt....

Well you could fence in the back yard and get a horse or mule or two and then go in farther and take more stuff and stay longer. Just go in somewhere that planes cant land and get er done. Just an idea. Ron.