Thread: Used boat - which would you prefer charter or non-charter

Default Used boat - which would you prefer charter or non-charter

So if you were looking at a used boat would you prefer to buy a used charter boat or a casual recreational owners boat?

The only time a small business would get rid of equipment is when it not cost effective.
    If true I would think a used charter boat would be run into the ground before they got rid of it and it would be two expense to fixed.

Is this a trick question? Oh. Boats. Nevermind.

On second thought there probably are some similarities that should not be mentioned here.

Ditto. I don't know any stats to back that up but I see those guys going out in the same boats for years before they turn them loose. They are always loaded heavy with clients, doing several trips a day in all weather and waves and moving faster than I want to. Given that, with a good enough deal, you can rewire and repower etc. but personally, I'd be worrying about the hull every time I hit a wave hard. I know guys who work them hard and take care of their equipment but wear and tear adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Is this a trick question? Oh. Boats. Nevermind.

On second thought there probably are some similarities that should not be mentioned here.
    Is this a trick answer?

Thanks guys.

I was thinking they would be used very heavily, too. The pros I suppose would be you would think they would be well maintained, but anyone who makes a living using a piece of equipment is going to use it to the max.

I'd have both surveyed before making the choice. Commercial use can wear stuff out, but occasional recreational users can do some really dumb and destructive things to their boats, whether negligence or neglect.

Here's my take on it. Owner operators will tend to tale better care of their equipment than an owner who is less hands on and hires a captain and crew. Owner operators will service the power plants when needed, fix any issues with the boat on a timely fashion and fix the problems correctly. One thing to asks of/when the hoax was repowered, if at all. Hours on the genset? Ask for service records, get the boat surveyed and inspect hull for stress cracks/fractures in the susceptible areas.from the right owner a charter boat could be a great buy if you do our homework.

A quality hull is a quality hull. You ain't buying a boat for the power anyway when going used. Make your offer accordingly.

Leaky Bucket,

You need to set the scenario up better for discussion. Are you planning on buying a boat listed on AkBoatBrokers (since you are in Juneau)?

I'd buy a one year old boat with 1,000 hrs on it from a charter outfit vs a 10 year old recreational boat with 1,000 hrs on it.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Leaky Bucket,

You need to set the scenario up better for discussion. Are you planning on buying a boat listed on AkBoatBrokers (since you are in Juneau)?

I'd buy a one year old boat with 1,000 hrs on it from a charter outfit vs a 10 year old recreational boat with 1,000 hrs on it.

Sobie2
    Hi,

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of boat to get. I'm new to boat buying in AK and the number of choices is larger than I thought. I asked the question because it came to mind and I was wondering what others thought.