Thread: Breaking in the "new" Wooldridge

Default Breaking in the "new" Wooldridge

Was out for a 9 day Moose hunt with my wife and 2 other friends. One of the friends hales from Kenny lake near Glenallen, and this is his first Yukon Moose since becoming a resident. He was pretty pumped as the Moose came charging to him when he gave out a bull call.
    Good times.
    Love having the power of a V-8 IB and a 212 pump. Installed a rack on the Sport to facilitate a light install and carrying light, bulkey gear. Worked great.
    Now I just need to get the new vinyl on her....

Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Got to love those long packs Paul, How did the boat do compared to the OB version with the Merc? Did you have a similar size load last year?

Looking good.....!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Hey Gramps, how was the "big"trip? Report and pictures?
    Todd, we did the same trip two years ago with the OB Sport, pretty much the same load coming back: 4 people, one moose, heaps of gear.
    No question that the IB version handles the big load much easier. Gets on step quicker and once on step, it will happily stay on step at 3300 RPM or so, with redline at 4k. It was all the same boat with a 150 Opti would do to get on step and stay there.
    one down side with this boat is that it has lifting strakes on it. The strakes allow it to turn on a dime and track well, BUT, with any sort of load in it, or too much up front, it REALLY grabs and coming back down a skinny, tight river with 4 of us and the Moose, there were some tense moments. You really have to anticipate the "grab" and be ready to counter steer quickly.
    i spoke to Glen about the strakes, and I guess they don't install them any more. My last Sport didn't have them, but my first 17' Sport did, and it exhibited the same "grabbing" tendencys. As the strakes are only tacked on, I could remove them with a bit of effort.
    I was very pleasantly surprise to find that this one will run pretty much as shallow as my last one.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Hey Gramps, how was the "big"trip? Report and pictures?
    Paul, 1300 miles and a nice bull, we got back late last Thursday, heckuva trip, all went well......was snowing and foggy through the rapids, as soon as I get a chance will post some pictures......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR