Thread: Question for registered guides on the forum

Default Question for registered guides on the forum

Beginning Jan 1, 2013 I will hold the license of RG. Under my licensure I will have moose, bear, and caribou. So will be short on Goat and sheep. I have no intrest in sheep guiding currently for my own reasons. But have been trying to meet regulation 75.100 (1) (D) (iii) for goats.

"successful experience guiding sheep, moose, brown bear, mountian goat, and caribou hunts, if the applicant is seeking licensure for one of these species; the applicant must have been involved in a minimum of three harvests on a guided hunt for each of these listed species in order to be licensed for that species."

I have hit up several guides to help out on goat hunts over the years and no takers. I have even offered to work for free, even as a packer.

I have the experience as a goat hunter with 6 goats myself and well over another half dozen helping friends. But that doesn't count when trying to have Mountian Goats on my RG Lic. Also when I was tested as RG, ALL 5 species were included in the testing process.

Also looking for when this regulation was passed? It is my understanding that RG's before this are grandfathered in on all 5 species.

So my next course of action is to propose changing or ammending the above regulation. I am looking for input or ideas either way.

Thanks, Justin

Justin,

I don't know how many, or which guides you asked....

But in my humble opinion... (which ain't worth a lot)
    here's what I WOULD do: Pay to be guided by one of the top guides in the field.
    Do your best to be a good client..
    then over coffee, tell him (or her) of your dream of adding goat to your ticket.
    ask if you could pack, sit camp, ect to get more exprience.
    Maybe even explain how you would "pay your own way"

I believe that's called "getting your foot in the door"
    If that guide slams it shut- after the hunt-
    Go with another guide---
    if that doesn't work... by the time you get your exprience on three hunts .. you won't need to go for free with another guide.
    Just document your three hunts paid or otherwise.

And remember those Master guides out there have "been there, seen that" so be honest and an honest hand at the work they ask of you.

Chris

Chris,
    Thanks for the reply, but spending 7-9K on a goat hunt to get my foot in the door is not an option. I have to serve as a guide on the hunt in some manner and must have three harvests with clients to count. Looking for some other guides on the forum for some input. But they might still be out in the field. I need some ideas on rewriting the regulation so I can propose it to the board in December. I will also continue looking for goat guide work in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Beginning Jan 1, 2013 I will hold the license of RG. Under my licensure I will have moose, bear, and caribou. So will be short on Goat and sheep. I have no intrest in sheep guiding currently for my own reasons. But have been trying to meet regulation 75.100 (1) (D) (iii) for goats.

"successful experience guiding sheep, moose, brown bear, mountian goat, and caribou hunts, if the applicant is seeking licensure for one of these species; the applicant must have been involved in a minimum of three harvests on a guided hunt for each of these listed species in order to be licensed for that species."

I have hit up several guides to help out on goat hunts over the years and no takers. I have even offered to work for free, even as a packer.

I have the experience as a goat hunter with 6 goats myself and well over another half dozen helping friends. But that doesn't count when trying to have Mountian Goats on my RG Lic. Also when I was tested as RG, ALL 5 species were included in the testing process.

Also looking for when this regulation was passed? It is my understanding that RG's before this are grandfathered in on all 5 species.

So my next course of action is to propose changing or ammending the above regulation. I am looking for input or ideas either way.

Thanks, Justin
    Justin,

This is a fairly recent change, borne out of the over-abundance of unqualified guides we ended up with after the Owischek Decision (if you don't know about that, look it up; it was a significant turning point in Alaska guiding history). I say "unqualified" not in terms of the legal minimums, but from the standpoint of practical field experience. The new regulations are not perfect, but are certainly a step in the right direction.

Never say never, but my take is that you don't have a prayer of getting that regulation changed. 1) Nobody is going to want to approve a change that results in guides with LESS field experience. I understand that you have taken several goats and that should count for something among contracting goat guides who are looking for help. Keep knocking. 2) Some of the good outfits rarely need help, because they keep their guides. And 3) if they think they're training their competition, well, who wants to do that?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You might look up Muskeg on this forum,he is SE.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Mike,
    Thanks for the help. I understand why the regulations is in place, but it for sure is not perfect. For well over 3 years I have hit up four guides on Kodiak and even spoon fed 7 potential clients to one that seemed most interested. I have asked two guides in SE AK and no luck. You hit the nail on the head about people not wanting competition. Plus the fact that goat hunts have very little revenue as compared with other booked hunts in AK. I am a person that believes you can ALWAYS learn something even if you are an expert in your field. I have hunted in this state since 1994 and it is my lifes passion. I work as firefighter paramedic and have the physical ability to hunt goats. If the regulation doesn't allow me to put mountain goats on my card in a reasonable amount of time something is flawed with the system.
    I will continue to keep looking for a guide willing to have me along, but as the years go by I see no harm in trying to change the regulation. I understand it is an uphill battle, but what I have been doing is not working. I figure I have nothing to loose by trying to change the regualtion. So any help in that process will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Mike,
    Thanks for the help. I understand why the regulations is in place, but it for sure is not perfect. For well over 3 years I have hit up four guides on Kodiak and even spoon fed 7 potential clients to one that seemed most interested. I have asked two guides in SE AK and no luck. You hit the nail on the head about people not wanting competition. Plus the fact that goat hunts have very little revenue as compared with other booked hunts in AK. I am a person that believes you can ALWAYS learn something even if you are an expert in your field. I have hunted in this state since 1994 and it is my lifes passion. I work as firefighter paramedic and have the physical ability to hunt goats. If the regulation doesn't allow me to put mountain goats on my card in a reasonable amount of time something is flawed with the system.
    I will continue to keep looking for a guide willing to have me along, but as the years go by I see no harm in trying to change the regulation. I understand it is an uphill battle, but what I have been doing is not working. I figure I have nothing to loose by trying to change the regualtion. So any help in that process will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Justin
    Justin,

Drop me a private message or call my cell number. I know a Master Guide who might be able to make this happen for you.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I'd opt to contact Jake Jefferson.

Jake isn't guiding these days officially but he does indeed hold his master guide license. Perhaps he would be willing to hunt with you.

Pm him here under BRWNBR.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Contact licensed Master Guide Tom Kirstein:

http://www.kodiakbearhunting.com/

Don't know if he'll take you on,,, but he is a great person, and fanastic guide.

Hunts out of Deadman's Bay quite a bit.

Chris