Thread: 'Gnarly' my first bull moose

Default 'Gnarly' my first bull moose

Gnarly - Petersville Moose....61 inches. Solo hunt. I left work at 2:30 on Friday 20th. Drove up to Petersville. Loaded up the 6 wheeler and headed down a familiar trail to set up camp and start hunting. This was my last weekend to hunt moose. I arrived at the camping spot I was looking for after 20 minutes of mud bogging. Turned off the machine and walked around the spot to see where I was going to set up the tent. That's when the evening changed.....I heard a bull grunt approximately 50 yards away, through the trees. The bull kept a slow pace away from me but still grunting. Couldn't see it but could hear him. I grabbed my rifle and bull horn. Gave a long cow call. Didn't hear anything so gave another long cow call. The bull grunted and wouldn't you know it another bull grunted farther off and started thrashing the bushes. THIS was getting more exciting! I walked down the trail a bit because I wanted to get away from where the 6 wheeler was and I wanted to get into an open field where I could see better. I kept making very long cow calls every 2 minutes or so. The bulls kept thrashing trees, calling to each other and moving towards me. When I made it to the field I could hear another bull way off in the distance but in the opposite direction of the two bulls I was originally calling for. Yes I'm surrounded by bulls now but can't see any of them just can hear them. I stepped into the field and waited. 10 minutes later the first bull walks out in front of me at 41 yards. He just has two brow tines on one side, rather large border line legal. Very disappointed and I do not want to take a chance. I watch him walk back into the trees and can tell there are other moose behind him. I edge back into the trees to see if I can get another look at what is in there. When I do, there is another bull and we spot each other at the same time. He is at 30 yards, he leans his head back and his horns lay flat on his back. He starts rotating his head back and forth very very slowly. I didn't need to look for brow tines at this point, when those horns went back and flat they were so HUGE! I brought the scope up on him and hoped he would turn sideways for a perfect shot. He did, there were trees he needed to get around to see me better and when he turned I put a 338 WIN MAG 225 grain barnes vortex bullet right behind the shoulder. He stumbled but stood right there on his feet. Approximately 1 minute went by and then he laid down. Another bull, approximately 36 incher was behind him and he walked away. That was 3 bulls right in front of me. I walked up on my bull and he kept growing. He has three brow tines on one side, one palm flattens out to a T formation and starts growing another tine behind the original palm. The bull gets larger and larger as the hunt goes on. I walked back to the six wheeler and brought it up to Gnarly in preparation for the work ahead. I have a winch, knives, come-along, 12 homemade burritos from the wife, a 12 pack of APA, and a lantern. The sky has no clouds, no wind and the moon is bright. 9-13.jpgGnarly & Family.jpgSo I get started. Taking my time and thinking things through I get it quartered by 2:30 am. OH, only had one scare. Remember that moose that was in the opposite direction from what I thought was just the previous two. Well he showed up at 10:30. Walked darn near up on the six wheeler before I looked up at him. He wasn't a legal one but dang he got the heart pounding again. I set up my tent and went to sleep at 3 am. Woke up at 8 am, packed up the six wheeler and made it back to the road. Some friends helped me load up my jeep and transfer gear. I was wiped out by this point. Got home and wasn't even gone for more than 24 hours. This is my first bull. Was an awesome experience. Can't wait to take my daughter hunting in.....maybe two years. We will see. 9-13.jpgGnarly & Family.jpg

Congrats and thanks for the write up!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Right on! Like it when a plan comes together. Congrats!

Great story! Congrats!

Congrats!! Great bull, great story, & beautiful family. Can't ask for more for a 1st bull (or any bull for that matter)! I got my 1st (in AK) this year too, but it was an any bull area & let's just say he was MUCH easier to field dress :-) What an evening for you!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Dude, great write up! Gotta love solo hunting......so gratifying. Great job. That's a good looking bull; should feed that family of yours for quite some time. Enjoy. Thanks again for sharing.

Great story,thanks for sharing it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That's awesome!!! What's the spread on that beast?

Congrats, greAT job

Great post and congrats! I've got a couple days for my luck to come to fruition!

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    That's awesome!!! What's the spread on that beast?
    61". It's in the 1st line.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Congrats, gnarly is a good description!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Congrats big time!

Wow. What a day for you. Congrats. That story had my heart pounding! Very happy for you. Thanks for the story and pictures.

That's a fine bull! Thanks for taking the time to write up your report. Very well done!