Thread: 2013 Float Hunt

Default 2013 Float Hunt

Well the kid did it! I, with out a doubt, had the best time of my life. Just me and the kid for 7 days floating 55 miles of river..

First off, to let people know now, we were in a any bull area. Kara's bull is 42", and one of the fattest yummiest moose I have ever delt with. I also would like to take time to thank the many people that I bugged and that helped me in my planning. Mike, Larry, TWB, you guys helped me with memories that will last a life time. Last but not least I want to say good by to a friend that I met last year in the village we were in. I had only known Sean for a few years but he was a very big, kind man and he lost his life on the river hunting with his 14 year old son while we were there. So Sean, I heard your last shots down river my friend, rest in piece..

Now on to the story. Kara and I were dropped off 55 miles up river by a good friend to start our awesome adventure. We hit the river on day one at 9:00am on a clear and cold morning. I'll never forget that first feeling minutes after shoving off on our first float hunt. Something that I can't even discribe. Well I soon realized by early afternoon that the river flowed MUCH slower then I figured. Like .6 MPH! After a short lunch and going over the map, Kara and I realized that we would have to put some long days of rowing and less stopping to call to make our take out in time 5 days later. After NINE hours of rowing the first day, we reached a old moose camp I knew of and set up camp for the night. The next morning I was up at 7:15 racking and breaking and doing the love moans across a long but narrow lake. After a hour, no response so it was warm up coffee time. As the water was starting to boil I started glassing the far end of the lake and there he was, a 55-60"er starring my direction down! I quickly woke Kara, told her big bull, but stay calm and rub the sleep out of her eyes to be focussed. I got the shooting stick out, checked the rifles and belly crawled with Kara out to a alder patch. I started calling again and the big bull started our direction, shreading up trees and grunting. I was getting excited when all of a sudden I noticed the wind was really starting to rip and it was a cross wind heading out towards where the bull was about to be. Right before he hit the cross wind (150 yards), I told Kara to step to the side of the alders and take a shot when she felt comfortable and that I was backing her up. As soon as I looked thru the scope, we both watched the bull hit the wind, raise his nose and then dove into the woods, never to be seen again. At first I felt bummed that I in some way failed and let my daughter down. Then all it took was a look into her eager eyes and she said, "DAD, that was AWESOME!" I knew from that point we were going to have a great trip, no matter if we got a moose or not. Well, knowing that we had a long ways to go and not alot of time I still decided to stay another night to see if maybe we could get that big boy to come back out but no luck. We spent the day around camp carving sticks, playing cards and laughing..

The next several days we called several bulls in close, just couldn't seal the deal. We even both missed a 40"er just 70 yards in front of us some how. The kid wanted to do a little rowing so I put her in the captains chair..

Like I said .6 MPH but beautiful!

We laughed and went back and forth about what we were going to eat first when we got back to Mcgrath. Our stomachs had shrunk and I could only eat 1/2 my burger but Kara WOOFED hers down with no problem!

Like I said, best time of my life and didn't want it to end. I found myself just watching my child many times over the last few days and thinking she is my world..

Off to Cold Bay next week with my oldest daughter to chase bears. Can't wait for what more memories I get to create with her..

Good job Steve! Hard for me to get my 13 yr old daughter that excited about hunting. Lucky yours is.
    Give us a better write up of the kill, dude. We want the juicy tid bits.
    That last pic looks like you've gained some weight..............someone else doing the cooking these days!! Just teasing!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

HAHA MT, I thought the same thing about me and that pic. No weight gain, down to 195, just really laired up I guess. Well it was about 6:40pm and we were about 18 river miles from the village when we I heard somthing on the bank behind me run as we floated by. I could tell it was something big and I told Kara that it was a moose. I wasn't sure if it was a cow or bull but I could tell it was a moose. We tied up and hopped up on the bank and seen we hit the mother load. There was two different wallow pits doug up, shreaded up trees and beds all over. This moose was obviously living in the area. I made one scrap with the bucket lid down a spruce and thats all it took to get him scaping and stomping. He took for ever and was trying to move down wind from us. He was about 40 yards and making lots of noise but we could only get a glimps of antlers once in a while. Suddenly out of now where (I believe he winded us) he took off running away down river thru the woods crashing. I called and scraped but couldn't get him to answer and I felt he ran quite a ways away. We hopped back into the raft and floated down a couple of bends and there he was standing in the open right on the edge of the bank. I didn't even have to say anything to Kara, she had her gun up and safty off. I touched the paddle in the water on one side to turn the raft sideways so I could get a bead on him too. As we started to drift closer to him I was waiting for Kara to touch off first and when she did I seen her bullet hit perfect behind the front shoulder. The bull dropped to his knees and then layed down but then suddenly got up and thats when I put one right above her shot and spined him. He was done with his head hanging right above the river. It took some tricks with ropes and a few grunts and we turned him to get him back up on the bank better. We had him cut up and hanging in just over a hour. Nice clean, fat bull! His antler's doesn't do him justice, he's a BIG bodied moose.NAC should be bringing him home Wed. Oh and Kara was shooting her youth model .308 Weatherby with 160 grain Barns TSX. I shot my .300 Rem, 180 grain Barnes TSX..

OutSTANDING man!!! Glad I could help and it is WAY cool success was to be had.

You and your daughter have a lifetime memory for sure. Time to plan 2014!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Saaawwwweeeeet ttttt! That is an awesome way to build father-daughter relationships and memories. No worldly distractions, lots of time to talk and enjoy Mother Nature. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on a fine bull.

Pretty AWESOME!!! Way to go bud!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Life long memories made right there!!!

Awesome.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

It's neat to think that what you and her did right there will be something she will remember till she's old and gray. Kudos to the both of you...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

There is nothing like being out there with the kids sharing those experiences we all love so much! Even better when you are able to connect though.

I really enjoyed your pictures and narrative of your moose hunt with your daughter. Mighty glad she got her moose and glad both of you had a good hunt and great time together. Beautiful country, too.

Also very sorry to hear of the death of your friend. Condolences for his family.

L.W.

Outstanding! Congratulations