Thread: Anyone willing to lend a boat to go out of Whittier?

Smile Anyone willing to lend a boat to go out of Whittier?

Looking to hunt out of Whittier for bear but can't find a place to get a boat without paying ridiculous prices. Really trying to get my first bear. Would appreciate any help

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts36 View Post
    Looking to hunt out of Whittier for bear but can't find a place to get a boat without paying ridiculous prices. Really trying to get my first bear. Would appreciate any help
    I hope you have experience out there, it can be sketchy at times and someone would be taking a decent risk loaning a boat out. How far out do you want to go? It would probably be a lot easier to tag along with someone already going and split costs. I'm sure there are folks that would take you up on that. Good luck

My buddy has the experience out there that I'd go with. He went with someone else two weeks ago and got two blackies. I'd take recommendations of cheap boat rental places as we'll. Any pointers help

If you offer to put up a substantial deposit (like maybe 50-100% replacement value) you may have a lot better chance at finding someone. There are so many things that can go wrong while out on the water in a small boat. Every time I'm on the water I risk losing 100% of my investment, and the risk factor would go up dramatically if someone else was running the boat they aren't familiar with on water they aren't familiar with. Not trying to throw a wet towel on your idea, but just suggesting a way that might cause a boat lender to feel more comfortable with the proposition.

Haha no worries, it's understandable. I have another opportunity to go out with family to hunt in Seward.

You can rent boats out of Whittier direct. Not sure when they shut down for the season though. Like others said though, I would be surprised if someone let you borry there boat. I would be even more concerned of the boat if someone was willing to lend it to you. (Meaning what kind of condition the boat/motor was in.)

Me personally, I just got back from a Koyukuk hunt and I let my best friend (basically like my brother) of 30 years finish driving the boat, 4 moose, and gear back to the Yukon river bridge without me. But I've known him for 30 years as I said.

Also mentioned is the weather out of Whittier/Seward is snotty at best. Might want to talk to a trainsporter to bring you out, and look to rent a raft instead.

Good luck either way you go.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts36 View Post
    My buddy has the experience out there that I'd go with. He went with someone else two weeks ago and got two blackies. I'd take recommendations of cheap boat rental places as we'll. Any pointers help
    Is this the same buddy that you loaned your rifle and he returned it rusted?
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Is this the same buddy that you loaned your rifle and he returned it rusted?
    man, beat me to that response

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    If you offer to put up a substantial deposit (like maybe 50-100% replacement value) you may have a lot better chance at finding someone. There are so many things that can go wrong while out on the water in a small boat. Every time I'm on the water I risk losing 100% of my investment, and the risk factor would go up dramatically if someone else was running the boat they aren't familiar with on water they aren't familiar with. Not trying to throw a wet towel on your idea, but just suggesting a way that might cause a boat lender to feel more comfortable with the proposition.
    Well put! I think he "haha" at you for posting the deposit idea........ Which is a great idea!!!! i guess i need to "hahaha" at him for looking for a stranger to "lend him there boat" Sorry, but that just caught me wrong!

Well i think this guy signed up on this forum just to ask for a boat to borrow. Maybe I'm wrong but if this guy doesn't want to pay the money to rent a boat I get a strange feeling he wouldn't want to fix anything that he broke on your boat. Hell it's going to cost him 4-500 dollers just to borrow a boat anyways. Unless he brings it back empty.
    Hey doughnuts you would probably have better luck asking to borrow someone's wife for the weekend than to be a complete stranger and ask to borrow someone's boat.

Sent while hiding from the boss

You could rent a kayak, plan a 8 day trip and paddle 10 miles per day

Yeah same buddy, however I wouldn't treat someone's things like ****. I was really just looking more for recommendation places that are a little cheaper. Never really thought anyone would lend a boat, made people look at it tho

Yup, joined just to ask... Yea, no.

The cheapest place to rent boats is Valdez and they are open skiffs and not sure when they close down for the season? I believe it is cheaper to get flown in than it is to hire a transporter in the sound.

Or just do like the rest of us and buy your own boat. The monthly payment is lower than the rental cost of a boat. Win win

I just posted my 22' sea runner on CL.. Im upgrading in the spring or buying a plane.. havent decided yet
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

The valdez boats cannot leave the valdez arm, they are super under powered too. The rental boats in Whittier are WAY cheaper than buying a comparable boat.........trust me - W A Y cheaper. There is absolutely no way that I would let any stranger 'borrow' my boat. I even find that most people that I take don't really want to even help out with their share of the gas bill, or bait bill, or....... It always sounds good, but in the end most people are better off paying for professional services to take them out on the ocean to hunt and fish.

If you have access to base they rent boats. 22 and 24 ft ocean going rigs for a very reasonable price.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    You could rent a kayak, plan a 8 day trip and paddle 10 miles per day
    I've got a canoe you can borrow - 15' coleman. Just wear yer life jacket.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith