Thread: How does a New Zealander shoot a moose

Baby Bear

Exclamation How does a New Zealander shoot a moose

g'day
    how is a a New Zealander ment to shoot a moose in alaska.
    What would the price ranges be or are there any deals out there.
    and is a kiwi aloud to be a guide?

go to texas!

Just kidding its expensive for sure tags alone, if you really wanna find a moose to shoot you probably want an outfitted trip wich will run you even more.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

As a non-resident alien (non-US citizen) you will be required to have a guide. You'll probably want one anyhow, though, as success rates for hunters unfamiliar with Alaska are far higher with a knowledgable guide. It's late and I'm just pulling this number out of thin air, but I'm thinking that guided moose hunts average around $8,000. Is that right, fellas? (There are a number of guides here on this site.) Tags will run you a bit more, and then there is the issue of taxidermy (if you so desire), meat/trophy care and shipping, and travel to and from Alaska. I'm thinking that you'll be looking at around $15,000 (U.S. dollars) to pull something like this off, but I could be off on the amount by a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm thinking that you'll be looking at around $15,000 (U.S. dollars) to pull something like this off.

That would be in the right ball park for a moose only, going on the cost of my upcoming hunt.

baby bear. research,research,research. Have a look at the old threads on this forum. Look at outfitters websites. Talk to anyone who will listen. Try to get both sides of any information you get. Talk to ALL the referees an outfitter gives you. Then cross your fingers, toes and anything else you can and part with the hard earned, get fit and put 110% into your hunt.

FYI, I am no expert, but you are up against a "tyranny of distance" and you won't really know if you made the right decisions until your hunt is over

And being a Kiwi, learn to play cricket and rugby league might help too
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Default I forgot

to say, read every word in every post in all the forums. It has helped me immensly with clothing, gear and motivation etc.
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Default Kiwi for moose

I would recommend you talk to Kerry O'Rourke on South Island - you can tell him that "Jimmy from Alaska referred you"
    Last edited by shphtr; 07-29-2007 at 14:20.

Default just my thoughts

Concur that you have to use a guide as you are a foreigner, and I think those prices were a bit low, but check around, I would think that you would be paying more along the lines of 15k being from out of country. Set realistic expectations and I am sure that they will be met, they say that 15% of the hunters get a moose each year--and that 75% of those 15% use a guide. If possible, get references, good/bad and check them all out.

Baby Bear

Default Thanks

Yea thanks for that shphtr i know him and get my takidermying there so i will have a chat to him about that.