Thread: Fly in hunt??

Default Fly in hunt??

I'm looking at a flyin sheep & grizz hunt in the brooks range. Any suggestions on cheap air fare? Thoughts on trying to double up or focus on one? Oh and gear what's the answer for boots. I'm looking at kenetrek or crispi. Also thoughts on kifaru tarp and timberline pack? Oh and I should mention I want to do this with a bow.

Sheep and Grizz or both there and I have taken both on 2 of 4 hunts. Bear contact has been incidental to looking for sheep and the bears I have encountered were on the move. I would focus on sheep and go for a bear if opportunity presented.

I would not recommend Kenetrek, they stretched when they got wet on me and caused blisters, know more than a few who have had similar issues with them.

I keep a Kifaru Paratarp with me at all times and have spent the night in it many times at elevation.

Kifaru, Timberline pack, great for sheep. Used one all season, used Kifaru packs for years, have 3 of them.

Good luck getting ready.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinfool590 View Post
    I'm looking at a flyin sheep & grizz hunt in the brooks range. Any suggestions on cheap air fare? Thoughts on trying to double up or focus on one? Oh and gear what's the answer for boots. I'm looking at kenetrek or crispi. Also thoughts on kifaru tarp and timberline pack? Oh and I should mention I want to do this with a bow.
    Boots: a pair of AMERICAN made ( steel USA flag on toe) wolverines have never failed me yet. I wear them every day 12 hour shifts at work in the wet cold, muddy as all hell conditions. Comfy even at the end of the day. They also double as good hunting boots with excellent tread and a good ankle support. $180 well spent.

Release Lake Trout

If you like the way Kennetreks fit, I recommend skipping the "Mt Extremes" and going with the "Mt Guides" for the additional $20. The "Extremes" tend to soak up water very quickly and have durability issues in the shale. My partner and I went through three pair in three years... we dubbed them the "Mt Moderates"

On the other hand, the "Guides" use a different type of leather and resist water, stretching, and shale cuts very very well. Drawback is that they are heavy and extremely stiff so break in period is long.

There are no "cheap" airfares into the Brooks Range that I know of. I do recommend booking in the very near future if you want to reserve a spot. The good guys will be booked up way before spring

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinfool590 View Post
    I'm looking at a flyin sheep & grizz hunt in the brooks range. Any suggestions on cheap air fare?
    Brooks and Cheap aren't synonymous. Charters are limited and there aren't any cheap ones. You're looking at a minimum of 2K for a fly out into the Brooks.

Sheep and grizz can be done on the same trip. Stid said it best I think.

For Boots, I like Lowas and I would get uninsulated boots. I got talked into a pair of new Lowas this year with 200 grams of thinsulate and my feet were getting soaked with sweat. You're gonna be doing lots of walking so your feet are gonna get warm.

Plan on paying $500-$900 per hour of air taxi time depending on the size of plane you book. Remember that's the time it takes to fly you in and for the pilot to return back to his base. So an hour in actually will run you 4 hours of flight time. 1 in+1 back to base+1 to pick you up+1 back to base = 4 hours.

If you need a separate meat/gear haul that will just add to the cost.

Thanks for the break down of that Birdstrike. being new I'm all ears and information like that helps a lot.

Keep in mind that some charters charge by the hour and some charge a flat rate. Either way can work in your favor or the operator's favor, depending on your loads and the route, plus if they have to fly around weather.

Charter rates in Fairbanks have skyrocketed in the last four years; One well-known operator up there has doubled his rates in the last four years. Some of what's driving it is fuel costs, and the rest is consumer demand.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Keep in mind that some charters charge by the hour and some charge a flat rate. Either way can work in your favor or the operator's favor, depending on your loads and the route, plus if they have to fly around weather.

Charter rates in Fairbanks have skyrocketed in the last four years; One well-known operator up there has doubled his rates in the last four years. Some of what's driving it is fuel costs, and the rest is consumer demand.

-Mike
    Precisely why I booked a walk in hunt for next year. Shaved $3k off the price of the average sheep hunt. Good luck.

Not cheap, but Wright's out of Fairbanks was a great way to get to the Brooks...don't have to worry about driving up the Haul Road or flying to a remote village. They fly the Helios directly from the Fairbanks airport to the strips in the Brooks. As for boots, I only have experience with the Meindl Alaska Hunters, but mine have held up very well through 3 full length sheep hunts, an elk hunt in Colorado, plus various shorter hunts.

As others have suggested, concentrate on sheep and keep your eyes open for a bear. I have not had much luck with bears, but we saw tons of tracks in the Brooks.