Thread: Blaze King owners???

Default Blaze King owners???

Anyone out there have a blaze king ultra. I have burned one for the last 5 winters. Love it, until this week we fired it up and when I close the bypass handle the fire seems to die immediatlly and totally out in about an hour or so. Thinking its probably the catylist. Needs a cleaning or replaced but wanted to see what experience you guys might have. It has 5 winter seasons and I burn 24/7 for about 7 months out of the year, Thanks for any thoughts.

Is the fresh air inlet opening clogged up with ashes? Sounds like it needs more Oxygen. Just my guess.

Crack the door with the intake damper wide open and get the fire going pretty good. Then close the door and run it with the catalyst damper open and the air inlet damper turned down about halfway. If it still snuffs out the fire, it is probably the air intake being clogged, also the flue pipe can have enough creosote built up at the top that it cuts the draw enough to snuff out the fire. We've had this problem a few times. These stoves are so tight that they will not leak enough air in to support combustion if the intake is clogged or the stove wont draw due to a restricted flue.

The best thing for those catalysts when they get clogged up is a good HOT fire to burn them clean again. Make sure you clean the pipe out good before you do that though...A good hot fire will clean the glass too...

Thanks for the words guys. I to have suspected the air intake. The fire goes out with the thermo set fully open when I close the bypass. These problems started right after I cleaned the pipe. I vacumed out the box in the combustion chamber as well. Is the air intake on the center of the stove in the back where it says "No user servicable parts dont remove this cover". Seems like they don't want you in there. Outside of something in there being clogged I don't know what else. I have tried the hot fire with bypass open and read the manual maintenance items a couple of times. Air intake makes a lot of sense I just don't know quite where it is.

It sounds like you've tried all the right things. I don't know exactly where the air intake comes into the stove. When ours started acting like yours is, I vacuumed out the creosote sitting on top of the damper ( from inside the flue connector hole), brushed out the flue pipe, emptied all the ashes from the stove and played around with building a fire slowly until it got smoking hot, then things seemed to go back to normal. I am assuming that we burned the crud out of the catylist, but it has worked perfect ever since. We've used our blaze king princess for 13 years as our main heat source just like you. Great stoves...
    Hope you get it figured out...

I would first check your chimney for build up, seasons when was the last time you ran brush down the stack? If the chimney is clear now look at your fresh air return and see it that is blocked. Cat's will plug up if you are not burning at a min 500 degree's, it should look like a lite tan if it is not plugged. Most of the time as stated above you can run it under the facet to clean but if it is black and sticky you will have to burn it out and chances are your chimney looks similar. Be very careful removing it from the stove as they get used they become brittle and can break. Hope this helps some.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Just wanted to let you all know what I ended up doing, right or wrong. I pulled the catalyst and near boiled in a 50/50 solution white vinegar and distilled water for 30 minutes. Followed that with two seperate 15 minute washes near boiling in just water. This procedure is in the back of the Blaze King manual, last few pages. The dealer told me they don't recommend doing that anymore but I figured it worth a try. Ordered up new gaskets and things seem to be in order now. I had cleaned the chimney at the end of August and only had one short fire, looked at it anyhow and it was clean as a whistle. So I guess after 5 years and last low heat season (April/early May) I simply plugged the catalyst. Brushing definitley wasn't enough as about 50% of the comb was completely blocked and the washing procedure cleared 95% of everything out. Thanks for your guys' help.