Thread: Questions to ask about Lab puppies

Default Questions to ask about Lab puppies

Im startling my search for another Lab to get this spring and wanted to find out what questions you all ask when considering one. I made a few mistakes with my first one but have no regrets for he was a great part of my family and and a awesome retriever to boot. But unfortunately he had several underlying medical issues that I wish I had could have looked for. Please throw at me all you got and anyone that has a lead on some solid reputable breeders I would appreciate it.

I'd specifically ask about hips, eyes, EIC, and parent personality. Parent health records go a long way, but some breeders don't want to show them.

There are plenty of other questions and things to consider, such as parent titles, adult size, your specific needs in a hunting dog, etc. If you intend to hunt late-season waterfowl, upland birds, or just early-season birds, you are looking for multiple traits in a dog. I hunt a lot of upland birds as well as waterfowl, so if I were in your position, I'd be looking for a smaller to medium sized dog instead of a lumbering 90-pound dope like I have right now.

If you plan on travelling with the dog, size is a big consideration. My dog only fits in an extra-large kennel, which I can only put on certain planes, so it is very hard to take him on a hunting trip outside. Large or medium kennels are much easier to travel with, because they will fit on most planes.

It also depends on your personality. If you want a very easy to work with dog, don't pick the big male in the litter. Alternatively, if you want a confident dog that will go right after the birds, the runt may not be the best pick for you. The breeders should know something about the personalities of each pup, so you can get a dog that should work well for you and your needs.

If the breeder is trying to breed hunting dogs, they should be willing to answer any questions you have.

Another resource you might check out is some back issues of Wildfowl or Gun Dog. I think they are available online for free. www.gundogmag.com and www.wildfowlmag.com. They provide a lot of information about getting pups in general, but also particularly for labs.

Good luck looking. I know there are some good breeders in AK. I'm sure some of the others on the forum have good leads on them or breeders in the lower 48.

I'd specifically ask about hips, eyes, EIC, and parent personality. Parent health records go a long way, but some breeders don't want to show them.
    Miller did a darn good job!

I just copied and pasted the short quote above as I consider that the very least to check up on on any puppy you are looking to get.

A place you could look for breedings is the retriever training forum. Their lab puppy classified page is: http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ds-Lab-Puppies

The sight is legitimate but still be careful. Shipping a puppy to Alaska isn't to hard from many places and will co$t in the $350 range but could be higher.

I don't know anything about lab puppies, other than they are cute as hell, but I do know that shipping a dog to AK is not hard at all. Have the breeder contact Alaska Airline. AK air has an awesome pet shipping system. My wife had a pug puppy shipped up earlier in the year and AK air called when the puppy was loaded on the plane in Seattle and was called about 30 minutes before the plan landed to tell us where to pick up the dog and exactly when it would be available. I think its called Furstclass or something like that.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If the pup comes with full registration or limited registration. Seems that a breeder in the valley has been the source of issues in this reguard. Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

I got my lab from LNR, he will be two this month. Guy has been a perfect dog for myself, I hunt ducks and geese in Alaska and Oregon. DuckDon and halohandler have given him the name big guy as he is about 85lbs and is solid muscle. He is a very strong swimmer,does well in cold temps, and fast on the ground for his size. At home he is very mellow but when the guns come out its game on. A buddy of mine just got a pup from LNR and he is a brother to guy, same parents different litter, only second time they have been bred. The similarities are amazing, its as if it were the same dog. He has flown from Fairbanks to ANC , anc -pdx. And ANC to maine all without issues. Those are my 3 cents, my dog is perfect for me and my family hopefully this helps in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEastah View Post
    I got my lab from LNR, he will be two this month. Guy has been a perfect dog for myself, I hunt ducks and geese in Alaska and Oregon. DuckDon and halohandler have given him the name big guy as he is about 85lbs and is solid muscle. He is a very strong swimmer,does well in cold temps, and fast on the ground for his size. At home he is very mellow but when the guns come out its game on. A buddy of mine just got a pup from LNR and he is a brother to guy, same parents different litter, only second time they have been bred. The similarities are amazing, its as if it were the same dog. He has flown from Fairbanks to ANC , anc -pdx. And ANC to maine all without issues. Those are my 3 cents, my dog is perfect for me and my family hopefully this helps in some way.
    Unless you like cleaning ducks you don't want a dog like Guy............Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

I also am looking for a lab right now I have been hearing very good things about LNR. Anybody have any good things to say about breeders in the Fairbanks area.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    Unless you like cleaning ducks you don't want a dog like Guy............Don
    I second that motion...