Thread: Green heads are out there

Default Green heads are out there

After reading this forum I see a lot of people saying that you won't see a lot of drake mallards with breeding plumage here in the anchorage area. I spent the afternoon at the university lake dog park and saw at least half a dozen fully colored mallards swimming around. Good hunting everyone and they are out there!

Quote Originally Posted by jpc8636 View Post
    After reading this forum I see a lot of people saying that you won't see a lot of drake mallards with breeding plumage here in the anchorage area. I spent the afternoon at the university lake dog park and saw at least half a dozen fully colored mallards swimming around. Good hunting everyone and they are out there!

Keep in mind they'll look "fully colored" from a distance but in hand they still have a lot of pin feathers, no curls, etc. It has nothing to do with the location, it has to do with the time of year. They're all over in December.

...but some are pretty colored up by late October
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Our Wrangell ducks now look as good color wise as any I have shot on the Texas coast in the fall.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've noticed town birds being more brightly colored too earlier in the season. Must be all the bread they get fed. lol

Friend of mine shot one a couple days ago that was almost full color. It had the ring and all. You could still see a few brown feathers in there but most of em were gone. He had another one that was about half way as well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Heres a drake mallard I shot on Saturday at the flats that was getting in color, took a hen with it as well(two'fer). Beautiful birds. This one had a curls

I havn't shot a green head yet this year, just the brown headed species (). I have noticed a lot of green heads in some flocks flying by, and the distincitive white ring, just need to concnetrate on looking for a green head to blast at rather then just shooting the first bird that comes into my field of vision when I pop up out of the blind. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I havn't shot a green head yet this year, just the brown headed species (). I have noticed a lot of green heads in some flocks flying by, and the distincitive white ring, just need to concnetrate on looking for a green head to blast at rather then just shooting the first bird that comes into my field of vision when I pop up out of the blind. Bud
    Coming home from hunting this morning I see a full plumage Mallard Drake in the puddle out front of the 3 Bears store off KGB. Had to laugh I haven't seen one while out hunting just the brown headed with a spot or 2 green showing of course only after they been shot can that even be seen.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie