View Poll Results: Which point on the horn do you use?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aft Base

0 0%
  • Center Base

1 3.03%
  • Front Base

32 96.97%

Thread: Sheep horn interpretation of legality poll

Question Sheep horn interpretation of legality poll

I've heard different interpretations of the regulations description of a legal ram that I thought I would make a poll asking where on the base of the horn people are using as the full 360 mark. I will keep my understanding of and what's been described to me as being legal to myself for now as I hope everyone is as honest as a guide/transporter recently was with a buddy of mine that was being flown out for a hunt. They landed at the strip and were met by multiple successful sheep hunters and their horns. One set seemed to be a 7/8 curl to my buddy based on his understanding of full curl. The guide/transporter explained that you go off of the back part of the base and that he had been using that for 30 years with no problems. This made me curious as to how others out there, simple hunters like myself all the way to guides with 30+ years experience, judge these. Below is the graphic and text explaining the states requirements for a legal sheep. I cleaned the graphic up and more precisely aligned the circle and outer edge of the horn. I've also marked the aft base, center base, and front base for clarification in the poll. The "cross hairs" are square with the front base and would rotate clockwise slightly with the center base, and a little further with the aft base giving a lower point for the tip of the horn to meet. This is where my buddy saw one thing and the guide saw another. As I've said, I hope everyone is honest in their understanding. Even if you're the odd man out, it is your interpretation and if anything may help someone better understand how to judge the horns and why. *** Poll results will not show who voted for what, vote honestly ***

AZinAK

Bone to bone is full curl so if it came up to or past front base you are good. By the time it got to center base or aft base it would be a significant amount past full curl. This diagram just doesn't seem fully accurate as lots of sheep horns grow differently. You just can't predict where the point is gonna hit on full curl rams, every ram is different, the tighter curl rams would hit center base and aft base first whereas a looser ram would hit front base or may not ever hit full curl.

My vote: none of the above.

If the difference between legal and sub-legal is as small as the difference between "aft-base" and "front base", then I'm not squeezing the trigger.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Its my understanding, as shown in the picture you provided, the OUTER portion of the horn is clearly identified, and to be used in determining FULL CURL ram. The INNER portion is not used in making that determination. Thats why the outer portion is high lighted and not the inner portion. my .02

I'm already having interesting responses both here and PM wise. Proves that it isn't as evenly understood as some might think. To some, this is ignorant banter, but even if it is, I guarantee there are some that don't interpret the regs correctly. The guide in my example should prove its not just the amateurs that have a different take on it.

AZinAK

Full curl is a circle and a circle forming 360 degrees aligns when the tip meets the front base. Just MHO.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

IMO....if the horn grows past 360 degrees, it doesn't matter if, or where, it lines up with the bases.......

But what the hell do I know...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The Front Base. It is "the outer surface of the horn, as viewed from the side". If it is that close of a call I would look for another ram. . .

AZinAk, I'll bet the guide that has been using the back side to make a legality determination for a full curl, doesn't measure the size of the horns from the back side.... clients might be upset with little full curls,,

Sorry but its pretty cut and dry.. Legally its outter surface of the horn which is the front of the base not the middle or back(inner surface)of the base. There is no legal description that says you can line up the tip with the middle or inner portion, there is no other interpretation just the law as its written. The problem lies with the folks and you see the pics here all the time that dont know what a circle is, they line up the tip with the base and snap a pic to show thier "full curl" yet the horn is shaped like an egg in the pic not a circle. Adfg surely is no hope with the letting go of all the sublegals of late(dont believe me just ask them) folks go home thinking they got them a full curl and they really dont, then they show it off and friends are like wow I seen one that size and next we have a bunch of misinformed hunters shooting smaller rams..Since 04 the size of full curl has surely gotten smaller...lol If you want to show the curl snap a pic down the axis where the horn makes a circle then see what you have.. You can make any "close" sheeps tip line up by snapping a pic or judgin from a low angle.. thats why it always best to judge from slightly above on the close ones..

Well, actually the middle or back of horns can be used, with some sheep, i had posted some of these in the past. Not typical............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    Well, actually the middle or back of horns can be used, with some sheep, i had posted some of these in the past. Not typical............
    Yep, you are correct!