Thread: Sheep spotting scope??

Default Sheep spotting scope??

I'm looking at upgrading spotting scopes and was wanting some opinions on objective lens sizes. Main use will be fly in hunts. I have been doing some homework and I'm leaning towards either a Vortex Razor in either 15x45x65 or 20x60x85 or the Meopta s2 30x60x82. Swaros are nice just a little to expensive currently. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

20-60x65mm is just about perfect. I see NO point in an 80-85mm scope on a backpacking hunt. The weight is unjustified. Having the extra 50-60x is nice when you need it, but you still can always look at 30-45x. You can't do that with a 15-45x.

Brett

On a budget the Pentax PF65EDII is hard to beat. Unlike Brett I would pack an 85mm scope as long as it was 75x zoom. I wouldn't carry one that only offered 60x when a 65mm scope will do that just fine.

I have the vortex razor 65 mm. I had the 85 mm razor previously and didn't miss it a bit this year in the brooks. both are GREAT spotters. Our hunt this year was unusual and my spotter had little to do with our success, but most of the time we depend on it. 2 sheep, 60" moose, caribou this year. I have no intentions of ever upgrading. Buy from Doug at Cameralandny.

An 80mm will allow for a brighter image at higher magnification in lower light situations. I'd look at the demo scopes on camera land NY's web page. I got mine there and you couldn't tell the difference between it and a brand new scope.

+1 on gong with a demo from cameralandny. I couldn't tell that my scope wasn't brand new and I saved quite a bit. Mine is a 20-60x80. It's pretty bulky. I'm happy with the job it does, but I don't have the experience to say if it's worth the extra size over the lower mag/objective size.
    Alpine is awesome...

85mm vs 65mm is kind of a toss up in my experience. For really optics intensive hunting (like sheep), the 85mm will give a great image early and late in the day when the mirage is down and the light is fading. 60x on a 65mm starts to get dim pretty fast at the end of the day. The good quality 45 or 48x scopes still do pretty well, but of course they aren't 60x. For more general purpose hunting, a 65mm simply takes up less room in the pack which is handy, and it will still be excellent 95% of the time.

If you are interested got a cherry 20-60x85mm Zeiss I'd sell at a price competitive with any of those you mentioned. I'm in Fairbanks if you want to check it out.

Yk

Took six sheep with a leopold gold ring compact. In my opinion good clarity and enough power (only 30X) to get the right look. Plus a lot less weight in the pack and a little lighter on the wallet. No hassle warranty as well. Good luck!

The light gathering and field of view on the 80-85, make it worth carrying. Leica makes the best optics, IMHO...

Vortex and eagle optics have the best warranty by far. Any damage, they'll repair or replace. So if you slide down a hill and snap your scope, they'll fix it for free.

The warranty makes vortex the only choice for me. I'd be too nervous to take an expensive scope from another manufacturer.

And, of course, the vortex glass is VERY good too..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

While I really like my Leica, not impressed. May be switching brands sooner than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    Vortex and eagle optics have the best warranty by far. ...
    Here is the exact warranty info:

Vortex VIP Unconditional Lifetime Warranty

Vortex will repair or replace your product in the event it becomes damaged or defective at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it.

• Unlimited Lifetime Warranty.
    • Fully transferable.
    • No warranty card to fill out.
    • No receipt needed.

The VIP warranty does not cover loss, theft or deliberate damage to the product. For further warranty information, please contact Vortex.

Here is the exact warranty info:

Vortex VIP Unconditional Lifetime Warranty

Vortex will repair or replace your product in the event it becomes damaged or defective at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it.

• Unlimited Lifetime Warranty.
    • Fully transferable.
    • No warranty card to fill out.
    • No receipt needed.

The VIP warranty does not cover loss, theft or deliberate damage to the product. For further warranty information, please contact Vortex.

Hard to argue with that!!! Great warranty for sure!

Vortex and eagle optics have the best warranty by far. Any damage, they'll repair or replace. So if you slide down a hill and snap your scope, they'll fix it for free.

The warranty makes vortex the only choice for me. I'd be too nervous to take an expensive scope from another manufacturer.

And, of course, the vortex glass is VERY good too..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    If you are associated with Vortex in anyway, you should disclose that info. You are the most exuberant consumer I have ever read on here with your brand love. Especially a brand made in your home state.

I'm neither....I broke one of their lower tier spotting scopes....sent it in and they replaced it free of charge! Just like to rep good custy service when I see it. Swaro is of similar quality....the Zeiss spotter I have now needs some TLC but will send it in end of this season...we'll see how it goes....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    On a budget the Pentax PF65EDII is hard to beat. Unlike Brett I would pack an 85mm scope as long as it was 75x zoom. I wouldn't carry one that only offered 60x when a 65mm scope will do that just fine.
    +1 on the Pentax. Lots of fellas here convinced me that it was great alternative to the super high end glass. Know of several folks with the Vortex and all are happy.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by fabricfan View Post
    If you are associated with Vortex in anyway, you should disclose that info. You are the most exuberant consumer I have ever read on here with your brand love. Especially a brand made in your home state.
    Nope. Not associated. Just a very happy user. Vortex (and Eagle Optics) have been very good to me. They are great people who really stand behind their products.

Even if folks don't want to buy Vortex, I still suggest that they call Eagle Optics or go to EagleOptics.com. They carry all brands and know their stuff. Just tell them your use, budget, and preferred brand(s). Eagle optics will tell you what your options are.

Unless I come across a deal like my Swarovski SLC 7x42 binos (50% off) on a Swarovski spotter, I think it will be a Vortex for my first spotter. We'll see though...I have a knack for finding crazy deals on things sometimes!

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by fabricfan View Post
    Did you read the details of the warranty?
    How can you not be exuberant about something like that? A company provides high-end gear and is willing to provide free insurance for that gear. And the gear is very expensive and relatively fragile.

Yup, I'm quite exuberant...