Thread: A less costly way ro reduce wolf numbers

Default A less costly way ro reduce wolf numbers

Bushrat mentioned it was against the law for F&G to offer a bounty. I propose All interested forum members along with any hunters/trappers start a pool say with $10.00. This should get more guys in the field. After the season several ways the money can be distributed. for example,lottery, paying top three selected or first one turned in, most during season and finally last one of season. This can all be adjusted.Even though I wont be able to participate I could lead the pack with a $20.00 start to get this going.Also looking for any imput/suggestions. Thanks for you time.

A shop in Canada did this. With cash prizes for biggest, smallest, and most wolves. Not sure how it turned out, but maybe we could get some sponsors for it also

sent from my igloo

I find that Wolf pelts make WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more $$ than any bounty, but hey, some more motivation aint so bad.

Im all for this When Fur is Prime, Ill drop a dime.........or 20$, ....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

This idea was tried back in the 90s I think. Ralph Seekins and other influential folks got donations and held fundraisers to fund a program to more or less pay a private bounty on wolves. Trappers were selected to participate and the wolves had to come from a certain area. The trapper was allowed to sell the hide and got an additional 400 bucks per wolf, I believe. 2 furbuyers in Fbks bought the hides and paid the bounty. It was a successful program and helped the 40 mile bou herd if I remember correctly.
    Catching wolves thru hunting or trapping is a time consuming and fairly costly practice. It would take a pretty penny, so to speak, to entice folks to get out and seriously contribute to lowering the wolf pop. Raffles and prizes probably won't add a whole lot to the take of wolves in any one area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Hunting clinics and location info sharing would help a guy like me get into it on my own dime.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Martentrapper, You remember correctly, those 'incentive wolf bonuses' worked very well with the trappers involved, and they did a good job,
    right after that wolf trapping program then the F&G had their 'successful' wolf sterilization program, not much was said about the successful trappers that caught plenty of wolves that were permanently 'sterilized'....

Ditto tyrex13... I could care less about a $$ incentive in the form of a bounty. Species have been run to extinction due to such practices and I wouldn't participate if the program did exist.

How about those who know where the predators are just post the locations. Those of us interested in going out and giving predator hunting a try will take it from there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Yep, reading my history, I think the bounties on Tasmanian Tiger was the leading cause of their extinction, some attribute the extinction of Woolly mammoths partially to hunters, probably true. Having the good fortune to live in North America, I have no worries about extinction.

I'll post the GPS coordinates of the next wolf or wolves I see, good luck to those taking it from there !!

Wolves cover some rather large hunting territories. Seeing a wolf or wolves and then doing a GPS waypoint is pretty worthless in the overall scheme of things. Airplanes or sno-go on a fresh tracking snow, is about all you can hope for. Wait until the fur is prime and sell the fur. Who needs a bounty...

That 40mile wolf sterilization program was a farce. $800k spent on a handful of wolves. Leave it to F&G to figure out how to spend a ton of money at something. I'll bet you there are as many or more wolves in that country now. With the price of fuel what it is, the wolves are going to keep increasing.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, a Bounty....and I thought this was a wager among friends..........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Back in territorial days, there was a bounty on wolves, on harbor seals, and ----- get ready ----- even on bald eagles !!! It was said that a single dynamite blast in Prince William Sound did away with more than one million harbor seals. Which I doubted at the time.

This is one way to control the wolf pop. If you haven't seen this before it is a must see. They use golden eagles to hunt and kill wolves. It is amazing to see the wolves fight with the birds. The title is " hunting wolves with a golden eagle in Mongolia" on youtube and here is this link but not sure if this will work. S
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re644qgnCtw

There is a group down here a person can join that pays for wolf kills. Pays $200 if I remember right.
    This is just for the Idaho area.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

why not set up some freindly compititions (if legal in alaska) here coyote drives and hunts are becoming fairly popular. teams pool together entry fees and then hunt the same general area. at the end of the event the top 3 teams win the entry money. they do take quite a few coyotes in the process

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by BigDale View Post
    why not set up some freindly compititions (if legal in alaska) here coyote drives and hunts are becoming fairly popular. teams pool together entry fees and then hunt the same general area. at the end of the event the top 3 teams win the entry money. they do take quite a few coyotes in the process

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2
    They do the same thing down here with wild Hogs and yotes. I do believe from what i've read about wolf hunting is just a tad bit tuffer!