Thread: Jet boating in the cold

Default Jet boating in the cold

I need to take a couple more trips upriver next week and with snow and freezing temperatures in the forecast, I'm wondering what precautions I need to take? I have a 50HP honda Jet. Thanks

Sense you did not mention what river or where your going how can anyone give you good advice other than, have a back up plan if you can't get out.

Quote Originally Posted by akbou View Post
    I need to take a couple more trips upriver next week and with snow and freezing temperatures in the forecast, I'm wondering what precautions I need to take? I have a 50HP honda Jet. Thanks
    Good ski goggles and a face mask. Think skidooing without a windscreen
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I'll look for some pics I have of coming upriver in mid Oct from Tozie Island to Manley Hot Springs in an open john boat full of gear and dogs. Ice flowing hard and it took a box of shot gun shells to get up the slough. Didn't have a thermometer but did put on every stitch of clothes I had and still froze.

As temps drop below freezing you stand a greater chance of water freezing in the carrying tube before it makes it to the motor. Watch to make sure it flowing from the indicator port. I'll use a Mr. heater to thaw the 'mid-unit'/shaft. Otherwise it business as usual, plus the goggles and face mask, I usually a clear lenses when possible as twilight comes on quicker now.

I've had problems with water freezing right at the motor's "pee hole", if you're starting and stopping frequently. Usually a small piece of wire can help clear this out. Also make sure to keep the motor tilted down and in the water if you're stopped for any length of time.
    Last edited by MRFISH; 09-23-2013 at 12:50. Reason: had to clarify that the freezing occurs on the MOTOR, not on me. Do not use wire if the latter happens ;-)
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I've had problems with water freezing right at the motor's "pee hole", if you're starting and stopping frequently. Usually a small piece of wire can help clear this out. Also make sure to keep the motor tilted down and in the water if you're stopped for any length of time.
    Very important step.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly