Thread: Alpha 1 gen 2 vs. Bravo 3

Default Alpha 1 gen 2 vs. Bravo 3

I'm hoping to tap into a greater knowledge on outdrive comparisons. Unfortunately my Alpha upper ate its self last month and I'm having trouble deciding how to proceed. I am considering going with a Bravo 3 but obviously the price tag has me questioning whether that would be the right decision. I am not ready to repower yet but when I do I would want to up the power, however, since I currently run a carbureted 5 liter I could up the power and still stay under the 300hp mark. The biggest question I have is if anyone with a 1999ish 2452 and a 5.0 engine has run the bravo 3? I would like better economy and better tracking at low RPM. I have researched enough to know that the handling will be better but there doesn't seem to be a lot of 5.0 with the bravo three on this particular boat to get economy figures from. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Give Robert Geller Mobile Repair a call 350-5506/350-9673 last i spoke with him he was a becoming a dealer for remanufactured outdrives and some of the prices he mentioned were quite good.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thank you! I'll be sure to do that.

You don't see that combo (2452s)because it wasn't available at the time. What you do see a lot of are the Trophy 2359s with the 5.0 and BIII. I think you will be good. If your 2452 is really clean and in great condition it will be worth it to go with the BIII. Don't dump a lot of money into the junk boat. The great news is that going from a single prop to a dual prop type setup is really noticable in performance/handling/economy.

Sobie2

Look around on the bayliner forum (google it), might be some guys there with your anwers.....
    BK

I also forgot to mention that the bayliner discover 246 is sold with the 5.0 and bravo III. That boat is the all new version of the 2452.
    Sobie2

thanks for the information, good news is I have all winter to decide and shop.

Whatever you decide don't forget to give Marine Services in Homer a call for price shopping.
    I get most of my work done there and their prices and services can't be beat in AK.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    You don't see that combo (2452s)because it wasn't available at the time. What you do see a lot of are the Trophy 2359s with the 5.0 and BIII. I think you will be good. If your 2452 is really clean and in great condition it will be worth it to go with the BIII. Don't dump a lot of money into the junk boat. The great news is that going from a single prop to a dual prop type setup is really noticable in performance/handling/economy.

Sobie2
    I spoke to marine services about this, and was told the BIII was mostly for heavier boats. We have a 82 Glasply and needed to replace the drive & motor. MS said the A1 Gen 2 would be fine as there is actually less drag than a BIII.......just what I was told...?

The GP is not particuarily light, the old brochure claims 4000 pounds, I weighed it and found it to be heavier than that, will weigh it again when we are done with the project.

I think the 2452 is listed as weighing around 4600 pounds, don't know how accurate that is..? And maybe thats enough heavier to be a good candidate for a BIII...?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I have a 2001 2359 with a 5.7 / Bravo III - No complaints really, the boat runs fine, steers well. I will tell you that a broken BIII is a heck of a lot more expensive to fix/replace than an Alpha. My brother had twin alphas and replaced both with remans for less than my lower unit.