Thread: SxS owners

Default SxS owners

During this season we saw a wide assortment of vehicles, SxS , UTV and ATV. For those that have the SxS/UTV's why did you choose the model that you have? Saw a lot of Rangers and several other models that I do not remember the brand. What I did not see was any of the Arctic Cat Prowlers. Are they just the popular or is these another reason.
    We currently have 2-Arctic Cat 500 4x4's that at this time serve us well. However I do see the time coming when the wife might not be able to handle her 4x4 and will need to go to something different.
    Just curious!

I have a Polaris Ranger midsize 800 and I love it. I took it into Eureka a couple weeks ago and she had no problems getting around. I also had the full cab installed which turned out to be handy as it rained and snowed on us. The midsize is designed to fit in the bed of a pickup truck. It is 2" narrower 3" shorter in hieght and 6" shorter in length than the full size 800. So no trailer is needed. But with the cab kit installed the doors will not open in the bed of the truck unless a rack is built to lift the ranger a little higher. The only downside that I could find while riding through eureka was on an atv when going through the puddles you can put your knees up on the seat and keep your feet out of the water. In the ranger the driver at least has to keep one foot down to push the pedals. So next time I'll be wearing xtratufs. Side x sides are awesome especially when the weather isn't so great.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    During this season we saw a wide assortment of vehicles, SxS , UTV and ATV. For those that have the SxS/UTV's why did you choose the model that you have? Saw a lot of Rangers and several other models that I do not remember the brand. What I did not see was any of the Arctic Cat Prowlers. Are they just the popular or is these another reason.
    We currently have 2-Arctic Cat 500 4x4's that at this time serve us well. However I do see the time coming when the wife might not be able to handle her 4x4 and will need to go to something different.
    Just curious!

Polaris is good at what they do and in general it seems as if they own the SxS market. The Ranger line is excellent for a number of reason to include comfort, reliability, the ability to customize the machine, the list is really endless...the biggest downside about Polaris that I cant speak for other lines is that Polaris generally likes their parts as they can be quite $$$, and this is unlikely to change given the rapid growth and expansion in the SxS market. I think for most the reason include having an enormous amount of transport space without sacrificing maneuverability or the hassles of having/trailering a full size monster truck around. I have an 800 Crew and love it, it'll go most anywhere anything else will, has room for up to six AND room for tons of gear, meat, etc.

bmborum....Have you ran into any issues with the width of your SxS? I am thinking about buying one myself but just worried about the width. Also, I fully agree with you on Polaris parts costing $$$. We worked on several this summer at my shop and holly crap parts for them were not keep but they were not taking care of by the owners. They were Polaris 700 SxS if I remember right. I caught between choosing either a Ranger 6x6 or Ranger XP 900. Any advice? Thanks

Still loving my 2013 Ranger XP 900. Even though it is a new model for the year, I have had zero issues with it. I do all my own maintenence on it to keep costs down. I have never been in a situation where a smaller machine would be beneficial, but there have been a couple times where I have kicked myself in the schwance for not getting the 6x6 for the extra traction and cargo space. 95% of the time, the 4x4 fills my needs and I make it work the other 5%.

I have a Rhino 450, very good machine. Haven't had a mechanical or any other issue with it in thousands of miles of use, typical Yamaha quality. It is small enough where I could load it in the bed of my short bed F250 so I don't need a trailer(I hate towing trailers, another thing to go wrong). It gets great fuel mileage, hauls a good load, and gets around in the tight wooded areas about as good as a regular wheeler(mines only 52" wide). Nothing bad to say about it other than I'd like a bit more power which the 700efi offers but I got a steal of a deal on the 450.

I have a polaris ranger and yes width can be an issue depending on the trail of course. They suck on the wooded trails that are cut for the atv's. but it's one of those thing you have to figure out what you will be using it for the most. I love mine and wouldn't trade it but I know it's limitations. If I were to do it again I would get the power steering for when I do use it in the wooded trails as it would make all the turning a bit easier

I bought the 2014 Ranger XP 900. So far I love it. The ride and comfort are great and the storage capacity is great. I struggled with the 4X4 vs 6X6 and I decided the new features of the 900 were enough that I wanted to go that route. The 6X6 would be nice in a few situations but for most of the running I do I think the 4X4 is great. I also think it might get through a tight spots a little better. Already had to do a few five point turns lol. If they had the 6X6 in the new 900 chassis style and options I would have gone that route.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Man you guys are making it hard on me. I am having that 4x4 vs 6x6 struggle. My 4x4 choice would also be the Ranger XP 900. The struggle continues.

I too struggled with the 4x4/6x6 decision, ultimately I got a deal on 05 700xp I couldn't turn down. There's only been 2 times I wish I had the extra traction. The only place I ride that I might struggle with the width is where I bear bait. I'll just bring the chainsaw along the first trip.

I bought the Rhino because I drove a Ranger at work, and wouldn't own one .

Actually, other than the better balance on the Rhino, the main reason was width. My regular trail has a boardwalk designed for ATV's and the rhino fits fine. The Rangers that other guys use break the ends of the boards off.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The 4x4 vs 6x6 dilemma may be solved by this: The 6x6 is in no way sporty while the 4x4 can be. This is the same for SBS and one-up machines. A 6x6 is simply a work-horse that goes most anywhere and climbs like a billy goat. It also has more cargo room.

Those brand new Honda Pioneers are looking pretty slick! A SxS with honda's bullet proof reliability??.....hmmmmmmm.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMcUtD1lBE
    Last edited by BIGAKSTUFF; 09-27-2013 at 14:24. Reason: add link
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

my plan right now is to get the 900XP in the spring because i feel its the right balance of sport and utility for me, i have two kids at home still and feel they would enjoy the 4 wheeled version better as well as the wife. at our moose camp i feel the 4 x will do just fine, will i get stuck a few times and wish i had the 6x? "YES" but overall im trying to find a balance for all the places we ride. and once Honda works out the bugs over the next couple years i see us buying the Pioneer.
    "f/64 and be there"

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    my plan right now is to get the 900XP in the spring because i feel its the right balance of sport and utility for me, i have two kids at home still and feel they would enjoy the 4 wheeled version better as well as the wife. at our moose camp i feel the 4 x will do just fine, will i get stuck a few times and wish i had the 6x? "YES" but overall im trying to find a balance for all the places we ride. and once Honda works out the bugs over the next couple years i see us buying the Pioneer.
    ^^^^This is the exact reason I went with the 4x version of the ranger and honestly I have zero regrets