Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I should know but what is this?

Default I should know but what is this?

I should know but what is this?

A dead duck! Its a merganser which is considered a sea duck.

Better known as cat food. They aren't tasty.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Alright thanks, it is the first time I have ever seen one.

You got some big kahunas posting that..

let us know how you cook it and how it taste.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

i shoot these all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    You got some big kahunas posting that..

let us know how you cook it and how it taste.
    Cojones?
    I'm betting many duck hunters shoot at least one of these in their lifetime (though most won't admit it). No, they aren't edible, but I don't see anything different about shooting one of these than shooting other "sea ducks", even if mergies aren't beautiful... and are kind of like the spruce chicken of ducks for intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    they aren't edible
    You can eat anything. Whether or not it taste good or possibly kills you is another story. You can eat em but they aren't very tasty. You can also eat a box of nails but I wouldn't recommend it. I shot one, I'm not proud of it. I dont like wasting stuff so I ate it (also wouldn't recommend it) but it was bad. I know better now.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    You can eat anything. Whether or not it taste good or possibly kills you is another story. You can eat em but they aren't very tasty. You can also eat a box of nails but I wouldn't recommend it. I shot one, I'm not proud of it. I dont like wasting stuff so I ate it (also wouldn't recommend it) but it was bad. I know better now.
    I meant in a relative sense. I have heard of people eating owl, ravens, loons, seagulls... yeah you can eat them, and some may even like them. Perhaps if you took a mergy and soaked it long enough in salt water or marinade, and then slathered it with enough spices and sauces, you could wolf it down. I'll pass on them myself.

I have shot a handful of these over the time I have been hunting and I am not ashamed to admit it. I usually chop the meat up and make a game stew out of it. Once you throw it in with some squirrel, rabbit, grouse, and anything else you got laying around you don't taste it as much

= sawbill lawn dart if it falls bill first. My older dog refused to retrieve the one I shot this season. She let the younger dog take the credit while she laughed at me and the pup. lol

Better known as cat food. They aren't tasty.
    They actually can be quite good depending on how cooked, I usually skin plus clean them and then stuff them with hot dogs. Then you boil them for an hour, they come out real moist and flavored.

Cool Thinking outside the box . . . ?

From a hunting forum in Kentucky:

Take out the breast meat and quarter it (I just used two hens). Don't leave any skin or fat. Rinse it out really well. Soak for 1 hour in saltwater and a little splash of vinegar.

Place a large sheet of aluminum foil in a pie tin. Place merganser breast quarters on foil and add salt and pepper. Cover generously in worchestershire sauce (it will cook in this, so almost cover the meat to the top). Drop a big spoonfull of kraft honey bbq sauce on each quarter. Cover the remaining surface of the quarters in honey. Be very liberal with the bbq and the honey.

fold the aluminum foil over and roll up all the sides tight.
    Bake on 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Eat with more bbq sauce.

I have read so many bad things about merganser that I threw away the first one I killed because I was scared to touch it. I killed two more today on the creek (thought I had jumped a flock of woodies). I made up this recipe for cooking squirrel (25 min on 450 then 25 min on 350) and realized it was delicious but the ingredients provided most of the flavor. So far I have used this recipe for quail, rabbit, squirrel, and merganser. Adapted it a little bit and I won't ever waste a merganser again. Fine table fare in my opinion.

From a hunting forum in North Dakota:

I just give it to my friend and he does it. He makes our geese and ducks into jerkey to. Nobody can tell the difference between duck and merganser. I found a good way to cook them too. I cut the merganser into thin strips and soaked it in beer for a long time with some duck too. and I cooked both together in cream of chicken. And my friends couldnt tell the merganser from the duck. So now I beleive that if you have a bad idea of something then you wont like it.

We shot hooded mergansers. Had a ton of them this year. For about 2 weeks that is all we could get. If anybody wants to knock me for shooting them, I bet they cannot hit them so thats why they dont shoot them.

From an Idaho hunting forum:

Most people I talk to laugh when I tell them that I eat mergansers but as far as I am concerned it is some of the best meat I have eaten. I don't know if the lake I shoot mergansers out of is special but I have never had anyone eat a merganser that I have cooked and not like it. Or know what it was before I told them for that matter. This recipe is for the breast meat off one merganser. Usually one bird is enough for my wife and I but if they are females or small I may cook two. A merganser is a big bird. I put the rest of the meat into my bag of mixed meats that I make sausage out of and it goes well in there too.

1 merganser breast
    1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1-2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper to taste
    garlic salt
    Johnny's seasoning salt
    Krusty's fry coating mix

The first thing I do is completely remove all the fat and skin off the breast meat. I leave it on other ducks but not mergansers. Next I cut the meat into bite sized pieces roughly 3/8" thick so they cook thoroughly. I always serve it well done when cooking fishducks. Next I toss the meat in a bowl with all ingredient except fry coating. I use about 2 parts garlic salt to 1 part other dry ingredients but you can use it any way you prefer. Then I toss with enough fry mix to coat but not enough to cover the meat heavily. Then cook over medium high heat in olive oil till thoroughly cooked. I actually prefer it to be overdone and starting to get crispy on the outside.

I also use this recipe or a similar one to cook deer and elk meat if they are really rutted up when I shoot them as this seems to get rid of any "off" flavors.

Hopefully one of you tries this and reports back. I am curious if anyone else eats mergansers because the consensus seems to be that they are inedible, but that's fine with me. If everyone keeps thinking that, there should plenty of them for me to shoot

Type "merganser duck recipes" into Google . . you just might be surprised . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    = sawbill lawn dart if it falls bill first. My older dog refused to retrieve the one I shot this season. She let the younger dog take the credit while she laughed at me and the pup. lol
    Have to train the dogs to retrieve fish if you want them to fetch up merganser's.... LOL.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Cool

Well I'll try anything twice.

Well I'll try anything twice.
    Me too. Maybe I'll keep one and try it.

a friends and I shoot a bunch of sea ducks a few years ago and he canned them, took the sea duck taste out of them and they were delicious!

I try to eat anything I kill, so I try not to kill mergansers!

That said - there's no harm in saving them and then just adding them to a sausage pile at the end of the season. Or, if you have a few laying around and shoot a big game animal, throw the meat in with a batch of sticks, sausage, etc. Once you've added suet and spices, the merganser won't add anything to the sausage except volume. No point in throwing them away, there's always something that can be done.

NOOOOooooo, we don't taste good at all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast