View Poll Results: What do you dislike most about the Great State of Alaska?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hunting season is too short

20 9.48%
  • Hunting in Alaska is too expensive

15 7.11%
  • Not enough roads in the state to access land

28 13.27%
  • Combat hunting/fishing

58 27.49%
  • Brutal winters, too dark and cold

26 12.32%
  • Price of living is too high

16 7.58%
  • Summer is too short for fishing

6 2.84%
  • Other

42 19.91%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you dislike most about the Great State of Alaska?

Default What do you dislike most about the Great State of Alaska?

Some of you might recall a poll I created last January titled What do you love most about the Great State of Alaska.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t+about+alaska

I thought it would be an interesting discussion/poll to see what others thought about the worst part about living in this state. Sorry if I did not include a choice.

I chose hunting season is too short. August 10th - September 25 is just too short of a season.

The season may be short for most road-accessible moose, caribou, and sheep, but the season is far longer than that. I hunt bears in October, lynx and coyotes in the winter, birds and hares here and there, and bears again in the spring.

Tough call on what I like least. I'll have to think on that.

Hunting season is too short. It'd be nice if sheep started August 1st, I know it's earlier in Canada than here. Fall fishing is just picking up and it's tough trying to cram it all into a month and a half. There are so many opportunities I guess and fall is so short that you want to make the most of it.

But seriously, I could check mark every single one of those choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The season may be short for most road-accessible moose, caribou, and sheep, but the season is far longer than that. I hunt bears in October, lynx and coyotes in the winter, birds and hares here and there, and bears again in the spring.

Tough call on what I like least. I'll have to think on that.
    Sorry. I should have clarified. Too short for most of the popular big game species (moose, caribou, sheep). I didn't mean to include small game hunting and predator hunting. I enjoy these too, but not as much as I enjoy hunting the three mentioned above. As for deer and bear. Bear hunting kind of fits in the predator hunting category in my opinion. I enjoy hunting bears too, but a guy can only put so many bear hides on his wall. Deer hunting would definitely be fun, but not very accessible to the average hunter unless you have a boat or if you fly to Kodiak.

Too many beautiful sexy rich women.......

The incessant spread of invasive asphalt.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Having to drive 2 hours to get to Alaska....just to be where the rest of the folks in SC had to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Too many beautiful sexy rich women.......
    I didn't realize we've been hanging out at the same bar!

To many folks draw their check from the government be it city, school, hospital, and up to federal. To few produce something with their hands thats solid and has value and pays their way to live.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I am fairly certain I have the complete opposite of luck so my vote may be skewed. I have never caught a salmon. I hunt moose, caribou, black bear, griz, spend almost every weekend in the winter calling predators and in almost three years the only animal I have actually seen in a huntable location, during legal times/dates was when one coyote ran across the road in front of me. So for me, until I can afford an ATV/boat/Snow machines to get away from the masses to hopefully increase my chances, then my vote goes to: It's too expensive for me to avoid the combat hunting/fishing on the limited number of roads and only the high cost of living, short seasons, and not minding the brutal winner gives me any chance at all.

Trash in the backcountry.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default What do you dislike most about the Great State of Alaska?

Traffic, and an inability for people to comprehend the 5 vehicle law.

On a similar note, stay right unless you're passing, and passing lanes are not for speeding up, and requiring people behind you to go 80 in order to pass you before the lane ends, and you slow back down.

Further more, when a passing lane is only a half mile long, don't take that entire half mile to pass that slow guy... There are people behind you that would like to get around that slow guy too.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    I am fairly certain I have the complete opposite of luck so my vote may be skewed. I have never caught a salmon. I hunt moose, caribou, black bear, griz, spend almost every weekend in the winter calling predators and in almost three years the only animal I have actually seen in a huntable location, during legal times/dates was when one coyote ran across the road in front of me. So for me, until I can afford an ATV/boat/Snow machines to get away from the masses to hopefully increase my chances, then my vote goes to: It's too expensive for me to avoid the combat hunting/fishing on the limited number of roads and only the high cost of living, short seasons, and not minding the brutal winner gives me any chance at all.
    You've never caught a salmon? Give me a holler next summer. If you can get down to Anchorage Ill get you on a few.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    To many folks draw their check from the government be it city, school, hospital, and up to federal. To few produce something with their hands thats solid and has value and pays their way to live.
    I don't believe that is unique to AK. This type of behavior is an epidemic in America and the government seems to perpetuate it. Producing something with your hands isn't easy and not always feasible for some but getting a job and not being a leach is a lot easier and people still seem to not want to do it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I went with the winters. Oct-May is just to much. In the summer and the get up early or you'll miss it fall there is no where in the world I'd rather be than Alaska though. I just need to figure out how to be elsewhere in the winter. Running a fishing charter in Mexico sounds good.

There are way too many people that like to hunt and fish up here. That's my biggest pet peeve with this state.

Californians and Devil's Club...

Aaaaaamen!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    There are way too many people that like T0 COME UP to hunt and fish up here. That's my biggest pet peeve with this state.
    More like it.

What I hate the most about the state is all the people that ***** and moan and want to change it to be more like somewhere else. For instance, after living for over 20 years in my hometown of Fairbanks, I was a little shocked at all the people *****ing about Alaska Airlines discontinuing most jet service. I always thought Alaskans were a little tougher than most. I guess a few too many outsiders have moved here.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast