Thread: Fly or Lure?

Default Fly or Lure?

Lotta folks fish with beads and call it "fly" fishing.

Here's a few lines from today's trooper log that say a lot:

Investigation revealed (the guide) outfitted his clients with artificial lures, in the form of a bead fished above a bare hook, in waters restricted to the use of artificial flies only.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Lotta folks fish with beads and call it "fly" fishing.

Here's a few lines from today's trooper log that say a lot:

Hmmm, if that bare hook had a couple strands of hair on it, I wonder if that would have changed things.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Hmmm, if that bare hook had a couple strands of hair on it, I wonder if that would have changed things.
    No, the bead would be considered an attractor in this case, which is not legal in fly-fishing-only waters. I've gone round and round with the troopers and ADF&G on this one.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    No, the bead would be considered an attractor in this case, which is not legal in fly-fishing-only waters. I've gone round and round with the troopers and ADF&G on this one.
    I understand.

bead would have to be attached to the hook itself in order to be legal, like a glowbug.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Not exactly just a few strands as mentioned, but if one had a maggot fly or a nymph below that pegged bead, you're saying that would not qualify as legal in fly only waters?

Also, I don't believe it needs to be attached like a globug, it could be free sliding.

"beads not attached to the fly are not allowed". page 4 of Southcentral regs "Gear for fly-fishing only waters"

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Not exactly just a few strands as mentioned, but if one had a maggot fly or a nymph below that pegged bead, you're saying that would not qualify as legal in fly only waters?

Also, I don't believe it needs to be attached like a globug, it could be free sliding.
    Correct, even if you had a two foot flesh fly with a bead pegged above it, this would still not be allowed in fly-fishing-only waters due to the bead being an attractor. As mentioned, the bead must be attached to the hook to be legal in fly-fishing-only areas.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

What if the hook is melted into the bead?

Quote Originally Posted by AKElectrician View Post
    What if the hook is melted into the bead?
    It would then be considered "attached" to the hook.

I always find this interesting. A fish is much more likely to swallow a glo bug or any "bead fly" with a hook attached. I would much rather have the hook a couple inches below and hook the fish in the side of the mouth 99% of the time.

Agreed mad yaker...a couple of years ago the lower 48 had a field day with a company called the moffitt system. Same pegged concept but used flies. They had fish biologist backing them up and the state fisheries still considered it "snagging". Fly fishing purists basically had campaigns against it and they folded! They had freaking biologists show data that their system improved the chances of fish survival and the campaigns still won! And these weren't beads but real flies - nymphs and emergers, etc! Crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk