Thread: National Geographic Channel Documentary on Subsistence

Default National Geographic Channel Documentary on Subsistence

Hi folks,

I received a call today from Ally Siegel of BBC Worldwide Productions, concerning a show they are filming in Alaska, for the National Geographic Channel. Unlike some of the crazy "reality" shows that have been done here the last few years, this one sounds legit, so I told Ally I would pass it along. Here are her answers to some of the questions I asked her on the phone today:

Q: What kind of people are you looking for?
    A: We are interested in individuals 18 - 30 years-old who want to participant in an once-in-a-lifetime apprenticeship.

Q: Does the person need to be from Alaska?

A: The participant does not need to live in Alaska. Simply, we want someone who is interested in learning how to live a subsistence lifestyle in remote Alaska. We're hoping to find an individual who one day wants to live this way of life.

Q: How much time is involved?

A: The time commitment will vary. It would be for a minimum of 2 weeks with a likely chance that we would extend.
    Mike's note: they are aware that a person cannot learn the subsistence lifestyle in two weeks! They will film for two weeks, but return multiple times through the winter, with a wrap-up around breakup. So this could be an entire winter deal. Call for details...

Q: What is involved?

A: During the apprenticeship they would learn how to hunt and grow their own food, gather their own fuel, generate their own power, collect their own water, build/maintain dwellings and how to work with sled dogs among many other activities.

Q: What about security of folks living remote with strangers?

A: We are fully aware of safety concerns potential participants would have. We too take this seriously. Any participant will go through a background check as does the family.

The family they have selected to work with lives along the Yukon River in the eastern part of the state. They are interested in talking to other families that might also be interested in this. Here is the lowdown, direct from them, with contact info at the end (please, no commentary here, just contact them if you are interested, okay? Okay.

=====================================
    Do you want to learn how to live a subsistence lifestyle in remote Alaska?

National Geographic Channel is currently making a documentary about people living a subsistence lifestyle off the grid in remote Alaska.
    We are interested in individuals who want to participant in an once-in-a-lifetime APPRENTICESHIP.

Do you want to learn to hunt and grow your own food, gather your own fuel, generate your own power, collect your own water and build/maintain your own dwelling from people who have been living this way of life for many years?

The aim of the documentary is to give an honest and real demonstration of what it is like to live a subsistence lifestyle in remote Alaska.
    Does this sound like you or someone you may know?

We would love to hear from you!

For more information please contact the research team at offgridalaska@gmail.comor
    Ally Siegel at (323) 785-8658.
    =====================================
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I would PAY for the opportunity to live with/learn from a native family for weeks/months. Past the age limit though...

Assuming it is legit as you say, this sounds like a spectacular opportunity for young folk.

Perhaps Stranger could open a B&B...extended stay.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I'm in on this

Just bumping this to the top, for those who may not have seen it yet. I spoke with these folks and they seem pretty solid.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay